Ganged vs. Unganged

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodyMercy

Baseband Member
So I see all this stuff about unganged being better for quad cores, is this actually true? I get the concept that theoretically unganged allows more RAM freed up for each core. But has anyone actually tested this stuff?

I believe ganged/unganged is just another term for dual/single channel. Not real sure though, that is just how it lists on my POST. Unganged, I use an ASUS mobo.

If someone is saying single channel is better with Quad cores I would quit listening to them. If this were true then both Intel and AMD would be eliminating the dual channel controller on the cpu's with quad cores.

It's not. Your motherboard maybe set for single channel because of the memory your using or any other number of reasons. But the cpu itself is meant to run in dual channel mode for optimal performance.

okay, the mem wasn't on the QVL at the PC3 10600 version but was for the higher versions, so I figured it would be fine. Maybe that is the issue, or maybe unganged is indicative of something else all together if you haven't heard the term before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom