Friend's Rig, Please Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
My friend got an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ for Christmas. I told him to sell it, but knowing he is a monster overclocker like me who never gives up, I then suggested for him to use it. He told me to figure out a nice setup for him that was cost effective and overclocker-friendly. Please check this setup. Thank you.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
DFI Lanparty UT nf3 250gb
PQI Power Series 1 x 1GB DDR400
eVGA GeForce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3
Optorite DVD +/- RW 8x
LG 52x CD-ROM Drive
Creative Labs SB Audigy 2 ZS Gamer LE
Samsung 120GB HDD SATA 7200 RPM
Samsung 120GB HDD SATA 7200 RPM
Thermalright XP-120 Heatsink
CoolerMaster 120MM Green Neon LED Fan
Thermaltake XAserV Daimer
Aspire Turbo Case 500W 12V Dual Fan PSU

You can't get dual channel on 754 processors. That is why I originally told him he should sell it which he didn't.

I don't think you will need a separate CD-ROM drive along with the DVD-RW because the DVD should do all that a CD ROM drive does...unless there is a good reason for it.

Well, when he was originally going to get a 3800+, he wasn't going to use all this extra stuff. Now he doesn't need to buy the processor so he is spending $473 lavishly. What would be an alternative and more cost effective setup using the A64 3700+ and the DFI UT nf3 250gb board?

I would get a CDR/RW + DVD combo, with a 16x DVD burner (which burns dual layer)

the CDR/RW + DVD will read and write faster than the DVD burner, although the DVD burner can actually burn DVD's

if he still has a warranty, I would return the 3700+ and mobo, and get a socket 939 3200+ or 3500+ winchester with an Abit AV8 3rd eye

the Winchester 3200+ and 3500+ seem to be able to overclock better than the clawhammers or newcastles

No warranty. But remember, if he is able to push it to 2.8 GHz, then he has something that roughly surpasses an FX-55.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom