Flashing a bios through Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwjayleedy

Baseband Member
My Msi board came with a program to upgrade bios while still in windows. Any pros or cons to this?

Yeah, don't use it, I got a few pointless programs on my PC that came with my Uguru CD, the flash menu, and ocguru, two programs that I would rather were not on my hdd.

The same with overclocking, never do it in windows. Only flash the BIOS if you absolutley have to. And check over and over again to make sure that you have the right one.

I don't see the point in it anyway, even if it was any good, as it is easier and faster to do it in DOS. And once you done it, you have to clear CMOS, if you can't flash a BIOS properly, you will not know about clearing CMOS.

Windows BIOS flashing is fine

JUST MAKE SURE IT"S THE RIGHT BIOS, CHECK, DOUBBLE CHECK AND CHECK AGAIN.

If you flash the wrong BIOS your PC wont boot, possibily forever.

My ABit board comes with a windows flasher......I've flashed my bios literally dozens of times with it, with no problems whatsoever.......as long as you have the right BIOS and your PC doesn't suddenly shut down you'll be fine.......also I'd suggest always finding and downloading the right BIOS yourself and using the "update from file" option instead of the "update automatically" which goes out to the internet and picks it up..

well it actually searched the right bios out for the board and automatically upgrades bios and drivers for the board, and also searches for drivers for all hardware hooked up to the MOBO

I have heard good and bad about windows flashing. Everyway has its horror stories, Dos or Windows, but I would say you have a better chance of a bad flash in windows. Just make sure of one thing. BACK UP YOUR ORIGINAL BIOS FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had no problem flashing the bios through windows. It would definatly suck if it locked up or reset or something. I think Dos is probably better cause whos ever heard of Dos locking up. My motherboard offers two ways of doing it. Through the cmos or windows, I chose windows and hoped all would be well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom