Firewire Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzyg

Beta member
Hello All

I just purchased a pc case (an Antec 1080AMG for my first computer build) with a firewire port on the front of the case.

My question is how do I get connectivity to that port? I have an Intel D875PBZ mobo if this helps or not. Pls advise.

you will need to check your motherboard manual or go to the website to look up the connections on the motherboard. i have the same case you do, there should be a bunch of wires from the firewire and USB header from the front.

find out where to connect each wire to the motherboard. if you hook it up wrong nothing will happen so don't be afraid of damaging the motherboard, but turn off your computer first and ground yourself. if your motherboard does not have firewire support you cannot use firewire unless you buy a firewire expansion card.

Thanks for the response. I am checking out my mobo and it only has usb 2.0 support (six in the rear and two in the front). I did purchase an ADS Pyro 1394 DV card that has 2 external and one internal.

Do I connect to the internal connection?

i don't know anything about that card but yes that sounds right. the internal connections should have pins that you can plug the wires to it.

i heard somewhere that the USB header is only 1.1 not 2.0 but that was from a while ago. these cases that we bought could have the newer headers with 2.0 support. i heard this from a customer review at newegg.com but it was an older review so maybe the newer cases already have the 2.0 USB header installed.

he contacted asus support and they sent him a replacement with 2.0 support, but installing the header might be hard. i dont even use USB so if i wanted to i would still be able to use usb 2.0 from the back connections not the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom