Fiber optics

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah ok but it is not that exspensive any more they made scsi drives and those were dam exspensive!

psydesign,

IMO,

I think the speed factor comes into picture and also the cost factor. Getting optic fibre cables to connect is easy and cheap, but converting data in HDD to light to transmit through optic fibre is quite costly I guess. And also i believe, the mechanical speed of the HDD to access data will be restricted.

Fiber optics are best used in long distances, you have to translate the data before it is sent and after it is recieved. Thus the speed advantage is only seen in long distances. I doubt we will ever see it on ciructs or computer hardware any time soon.

True...fiber optics are best used for long distance networks and internet connections. Fiber for computer hardware is probably not in the near future.

It is nice though, I use the fiber optic on my Audigy 2 platinum front bay drive and send it to my stereo reciever just through a ps2 optic cable and it works perfect!

I dont know why they dont make a Fiber Optic CPU, since its the speed of light, it would be ground braking. Sure the CPU would be the size of a brick, but who would care.

Yes they are better for long distance, but if you made very small cables, 1/5mm then it would be a long distance, since the cable is so small. So i support the idea of Fiber Optic hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom