FDD Not Working!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
This is annoying me, oh so bad. I got this server, and it has been such a pain in the ass. So many problems getting it together. Nothing is broken, it's just I seem to be getting some problem everytime I do something. First it was setting my hard drives up in raid, then it was something else and then some thing else after that! I get to one problem, get around it, only to encounter another one!!! It's like a video game, kill on badass dude only to get to another badass dude! Anyway, my present problem ios my FDD. I cannot get it working! Literally, nothing happens with it.

I'm setting up my serber, trying to install Windows 2003 at this point. Now, since I am using a controller card, I have to install the drivers for the card before installation of Windows. I'm using the controller cardfor 4 HDD's set in RAID 0+1. Since I have to install the drivers in a pre-windows environment, it's asking me for a floppy with the drivers on it. For some reason my floppy refuses to work. I have tried 2 different, yet known working, floppy drives and 3, 2 brand new and one known working, cables. I've tried every position of the IDE connector on the drive and the mobo. When I have a configuration that I know is wrong, the connector is upside down on the board or on the drive, I will get a solid light on the front of the drive, and I get the floppy disk fail error. I have used different cables, and even different drives. I bought this from my buddy, and he has been troubleshooting it with me. He said it worked right before I bought it from him, and I dont think it is the controller. I mean, I do get the error message when the cables are mixed up and upside down, so that means it should work. I cant figure it out.

The second explanation is the same as the first, making the time you spent reading it a complete waste. I"m sorry, but you will never get those 2 minutes back..... Ever.

Anyone got any ideas?

Go to this thread for a related problem, and also the specs of my server.

A solid light on the floppy drive is an indication that the cable has been connected the wrong way, as you've mentioned. You didn't say you tried flipping the cable though?

Ahh, I'm sorry, I did flop the cable around and I ruined a drive doing that. If you'll notice on a floppy cable, on the end with the twist, pin 3 is blocked off. Because of that, you cannot switch the cable around. I tried to switch it around, not realizing this, and I pushed in pin three on he drive... All the way in. Therefore, the drive is ruined. Prehaps I can pull the pin out, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. But, like I said, I tried every conceivable way of connecting the cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom