Is it faster to install OS on small partition (10GB, for ex)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Hi,
I had an old P3 598 mhz copmuter which was driving me nuts! It was very slow and it took ages to open anything (Microsoft World, Encarta...) so I got a new one; P4 1.7 GHZ and got an 80 GB Hard Disk

My question is is it recomended (or is it faster) if I install the OS (XP Pro) on a small partition of the 80 GB hdd (10GB, for example) and while running the comuter, install everything else (programs, office 2003...) on the remaining partition (70 GB for example)

I know that 1.7 GHz is not the best nor the fastest...and besides, I only have 128MB of Ram...

So if it doesnt make a difference, then I'll only make 1 partition (the whole 80 GB) and install the OS and all other programs/software on the same partition.

Thank You in advance

No it shouldn't make a difference. If you defragment it regularly you should be able to keep it running well.

Thank you for your reply

so what you're saying is that if install everything on the same partition and leave it as is (80 GB) it will be the same if I installed the OS on a 10 or 20 GB and all other programs on the other partition?

I am afraid that the copmuter will slow down and launching programs/startup will take a lot of time

What is Defragmenting btw, never tried it and never knew the need to do it?

thank you again

I agree with m3trj it won't make a difference, just keep defragment it! If you are worried about it running slow buy some more RAM in my experience XP don't work too good with out at least 256MB of RAM and it is very cheap.

agreed the only way to have ur OS run faster is puttin it on a different physical disk. Also i agree with dave-1969 128 is terrible for xp u will notice the biggest difference by gettin more ram i would get at least a stick of 512mb then u will have ur programs opening alot quicker. u can pick up a stick very cheaply, be it oem unheard of make or value ram from kingston or corsiar or sum1 like that.

what's the RPM of the 10GB drive?
most current drives are 7200RPM, some 10k RPM but older ones (like 15GB and below) are usually 5400RPM
if it is 5400RPM, it would slow down the system to have your OS on this drive

so the best thing to do is install everything on 1 partition...

and about the RAMs, if I buy a 128 or 256 mb stick, would in improve performance alot? What is the best RAM to buy, SD RAM or DD ram? (whats the difference??) and how do I check what my RAM is and if it is compatible with the one I want to buy? or they all work with each other??

What do you think is better and will give me greater increase in performance;

if I buy a 128 or 256mb ram (so ill have 128 + 256 or 128+128)

and what is better, if i buy 512 mb ram or upgrade from P4 1.7GHz to lets say 2.4 or 2.8 GHZ?

Thank you again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom