Fast-Writes and ATI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Switch

Fully Optimized
what exactly are "Fast-Writes" i think i have an idea,(the VRAM can communicate with the hard-drive without going through the CPU or RAM) but i'm probably wrong. all i know is that it made my old GeForce FX 5200 Ultra run 3d games like a bad slide show. what will it do to my 9500 Pro? slow it down like my old 5200? or not do anything at all? should it be on or off?

you should have fast writes ON only if you have less than 512mb of system RAM. otherwise it's ok to leave fast writes OFF if you have at least that much or more.

your 9500 should run 3d games better than your 5200 did..so just make sure you've fully uninstalled your nVidia drivers BEFORE installing your ATI drivers.

Sw1tCh[FX] said:
but since i have 512MB, would i get better performance if i leave it on?

if your video card has at least 128mb, and your system has 512mb it's actually better to have it OFF, so your card can take most of the stress, instead of the whole system trying to run it....

people tend to leave fast writes ON only if the rest of their system doesn't have enough "juice" or low memory on thier vid-card to run an intense game.

you should be fine to leave your fast writes OFF. it's more of a memory allocation issue than actual 3d video process.

Yeah, i get a slight improvement after turning it off. I am so glad this thread got started, I have always wondered this.

Doom 3 still running like crap though...

yeah, all in know is that when i had 768MB of DDR with my 5200 Ultra, when ever i turn fastwrites on, it made my video card super slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom