External SATA to SATA drive not working!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NimeshPanchal84

Beta member
I have a seriously mother of a problems.

I received a 300GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 SATA hard drive for christmas. I also got an external SATA to SATA drive enclosure and a SATA PCMCIA to make the complete package an external SATA hard drive.

After installing the hard drive inside the case, and installing the PCMCIA SATA card in my laptop, I plugged everything in, in hopes that I could use my 300GB right away.

The problem lies in that nothing happens when I attached the external enclosure to the SATA Card Bus. Windows detected the installation of the SATA Card Bus, but nothing happened when I attached the drive. After rebooting many times, and entering Windows Disk Management, nothing worked. It doesn't how up in Disk Management, BIOS, or Explorer.

All the parts are brand new. I have tried 2 different SATA data cables. I have updated my BIOS to the newest version as well as re-installing Windows XP in hopes that a clean install would resolve any unkown issues. I have even tried the entire package on another laptop, but it didn't work.

Are they any configurations I have to go through with Windows XP in order to use a SATA hard drive? I simply want to use for storage purposes.

My PC specs are:

IBM ThinkPad A31
Intel Pentium M Processor - 1.9Ghz
256 MB DDR Ram
30GB Internal Hard Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

The external enclosure is by Bytecc ME-720S and the Card Bus is by "Best Connectivity." However, the installation drivers say "Silicon Image SATA Link 3112."

I really want to get this SATA drive working. 300GB has been sitting on my table for the past few weeks and I am just itching to fill it up.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!

Thanks ALL!!!

Update all your drivers and make sure for your laptop you have type II pcmcia slot. Still have problems, then call customer support for the product. I don't think theres an official way to do what your trying to do, so in other words, what you have isnt meant to work that way so that may be why your having conflicts, it's not exactly gauranteed to work.

This is why you always buy Seagate... :D

Anyway, have you tried connecting the drive to your computer without the external case? There might be something going on between the drive and the case and the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom