External Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyjdsn

Solid State Member
I am in a situation where I have to switch computers every 4-5 months. My question is, what is the best external memory system where I can save all of my crucial data. In regards to software, I will just load software as needed.

Should I get an Iomega zip drive, burn cd/dvds, get an external hard drive, what?

On that same note, if I get something like a 20gb Pockey Drive, is this just used to store data, or programs, or the operating system as well?

Thanks for the help.

if youre backing up more than a couple gigs of data, then go for the external or pocket hard drive. otherwise youd have to make a lot of cds/zip. i think you can store whatever you want on a pocket drive. it probably can hold a os, but doesnt necessarily have to.

I agree with Silesia, just make sure the enclosure is USB 2.0 (faster than most anything else for external). Any computer that I've seen lately has USB 2.0 on it.

I agree .. n' since most new boards support booting from USB ..u can even have the OS on that drive ..
But then if the OS is XP it will not boot if the hardware changes . I would suggest 98 in that case

On second thoughts even an external harddrive is not a bad option.

This is what I am thinking of getting. Good idea or bad? or is there better?

Maxtor OneTouch 120GB External Hard Drive/Backup Solution , Model A01B120, Retail $159 at newegg.com right now.

Looks like a good choice.

two things:
1. I am not a fan of the hd's that have 2MB caches. I prefer 8 MB.
2. I found a very similar hd on pricegrabber.com for $135 + shipping. Has the Maxtor name on it, but it's not a OneTouch. 120 GB, 7200 RPM, 2MB cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom