Backup Plus Desktop Drive -- max 4 TB ---- USB 3.0 ---- STCA4000200
Expansion External -------- max 3 TB ---- USB 3.0 ---- STBV3000300

My pick: Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive
Reasons:
(1) Already own 2 TB WD My Book Essential
(2) Can purchase Seagate Desktop Thunderbolt Adaptor in future
(3) Savings on physical space as compared to Seagate Expansion External

My scenario:
*I would also be using the drive on my older XP computer. The 2 TB WD works fine with it (48-bit LBA size but MBR) , but > 2TB may not work without third party software.
* Advanced Format (4K native) will become the norm in the future. How to embrace it with XP, as the the actual hard drives inside may be in 4K format, native or not.

My question:
How to make a 3TB or 4TB external hard drive to also work with a 2006 XP computer, without making any changes to the drive itself ?
This would be an important consideration regarding the purchase.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 4TB Desk External Drive Review - Seagate Breaks the 4TB Hard Drive Barrier - Legit Reviews

Info from Wikipedia (can skip reading):
The current 48-bit LBA scheme, introduced in 2003 with ATA-6 standard, allows addressing up to 128 PiB. Current PC-Compatible computers support INT 13H Extensions, which use 64-bit structures for LBA addressing and should encompass any future extension of LBA addressing, though modern operating systems implement direct disk access and do not use the BIOS subsystems, except at boot load time. However, the common DOS style Master boot record partition table only supports disk partitions up to 2 TiB in size. For large partitions this needs to be replaced by another scheme for instance the GUID Partition Table which has the same 64-bit limit as the current INT 13H Extensions.

Back
Top Bottom