Expert Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven1110

Baseband Member
I'm building a computer but I'm new to it. I've done my research on doing building and I'm confident but not quite confident enough. I've chosen my parts but I'd love a second/third/fourth opinion about it. I'm pretty sure everything is compatable but again would like an experts opinion.
Parts are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus A7V8X-X Socket A
Processor: AMD 2600+XP 333 FSB
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD400JB Cavier(40GB, 7200 RPM
8mb cache)
Memory: Ultra 512 MB PC2700 ddr 333mhz
Video Card: Connect3D Radeon 9200 256 mb ddr agp8x
CD-RW: Chieftec 52x24x52x model#TC3G-1006
Heatsink: Thermaltake Volcano 10+
Case: Soyo CX-5959

Any help would be appreciated. If I'm missing any part that I need tell me. Also if you've had problems with one of these components and wouldn't recommend it, please tell me.

Thanks,

Steven

Steven: Please do not cross post your questions in other forums. I removed your message about case fans as you asked this in the "Overclocking" forum. Thanks!!==== MicroBell

the only thing i can recommend is to spend a few more bucks to get a bigger hard disk. i would get at least 80-100GB+. especially if you have broadband, you will be glad you did.

Yes, other than the HDD being a little small, the only thing i might change is if you plan on doing a lot of gamming, you might want to upgrade to the 9600pro/XT, if you arnt going to be doing much gamming then the 9200 is fine. Definately get a little bigger HDD though :)

It might be an idea to get a Socket A mainboard that supports also 400 fsb AMD Processors. This for future upgrading, AMD has already anounced that they are to build faster one untill at least Q1 2005. Only the Athlon XP 3200+ has a FSB of 400 mhz right now. Whether or not you want to do this, i would get faster memory. ofcourse 400 mhz memory will support the mainboard with 400 mhz FSB, but your A7V8X-X also supports it.

One more small detail on the processor. The Athlon XP from 2500+ and up has 512kb L2 Cache, except the 2600+ and 2700+. Why? I don't have a clue. But it does make a processors faster so maybe its an idea to pay a little more or less to get a proc with 512kb level cache.

And i agree with the other for getting a bigger harddrive. Also have a look at the buffer size of the HD, normal ones ussually have 2MB buffer, faster ones have 8MB. Sometimes a small difference in price but more inprovement in performance.

So much from me, good luck
;)

ekÆsine said:
the only thing i can recommend is to spend a few more bucks to get a bigger hard disk. i would get at least 80-100GB+. especially if you have broadband, you will be glad you did.
I totally agree with this; I have a 40GB drive almost filled up because we have broadband, and I have to constantly clean it out if I want to download something else

Sounds like a good system except you might want to make a few cheap tweaks to your setup. One go out and buy 1 or two case fans and a hard drive cooler. Two get a bigger hard drive, goto best buy and you could get a 200GB for 149.99. The graphics card looks good to me and you might want to put in another optical drive like a cd-rom or a dvd-rom, for the simple fact that you could copy cds on the fly or watch a dvd if you have a dvd rom. Scratch the idea of getting your cdrw and once again goto best buy they are running a special on cdrw drives. You can get a 52X24X52 digital research for 19.99 you cant go wrong with that, and you could get a dvd-rom for 34.99. But its all up to you those are just some suggestions. Good luck with building your system and keep us updated on the process.

First off thanks for the info.

I was thinking about getting a bigger hd but I really didn't think I'd use all of it. Granted I do have broadband but the only thing I'd use it for is music downloading and even then as soon as I get enough down it's going on a cd(which I thought had an 8mb buffer but doesn't. I'll have to change that.). I do plan on gaming with it but that's probably going to be minimal also(hence lesser video card). So for the time being I'm going to stick with 40 but maybe a little down the line I'll upgrade.

As for another optical, I'm going to get a dvd burner drive somewhere in the future.

Now for the processor I got a little lost. Like I said I'm new to everything and it takes a few times reading before catching on. The 2600 processor is a Barton and the specs say that that it has a 512 L2 and 640 total(tigerdirect.com).

Thanks for the help and keep me posted on ideas.

Is the asus board a nforce 2 board? Viewing the specs lead me to believe that it wasn't. It says that it runs on a via kt400 chipset. Is that a model of the nforce2?

I chose the ultra because I read the good reviews but I didn't know that was new to the market therefore not having extensive use by consumers.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom