Ethernet port's gone dead....

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdoKoi

In Runtime
just wondering if it is possible to mess up a computer (laptop in particular) when removing an ethernet cable out of the RJ45 ethernet port while the system is still running, or shutting down?

the port can no longer connect to the internet through the ethernet port.

i'm going to have to send it in for repair, but thought i'd put it out there for anybody who's got suggestions first.

thank you.

no...ethernet ports are "hot-swappable" if you can even call it that. You might have bent a pin or two when you pulled it out. Also make sure that the adapter didn't get disabled some how.

ah, ok. i'll check it out when i get home. since it is on a laptop, i probably shouldn't attempt to take it apart, or i may even increase more damage to it.

it's funny, when i plug in the ethernet cable, it saids " a LAN connection is unplugged" even though it IS in there. then i'll try it again, and it reads it correctly, no "unplugged" messages, and yet it can't connect to any webpages.

though i did test it on my desktop, and it's not the cable.

but, i will look to see if i bent a pin. this is my first laptop, so i'm not as familiar as i am desktop components.

thanks for the feedback though.

i configured it from ibuypower.com (don't laugh!)

AMD Mobile Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ CPU
1600MHz System Bus Using HyperTransport Technology
1 GB DDR333 PC2700
15" SXGA+ TFT LCD
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro with 128MB VRAM
AC97 V2.1 Codec
60 GB 5400rpm ATA-100 HHD
Hitachi DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Windows XP Home

i have only had this laptop for only 4 months now, it is continuely having problems with it. unfortunately my last option is to just send it back for repair while i still have (only) the 1 year warranty.

now, i kick myself, wishing i would've gone w/ a more reputable company. i cannot recommend this company to anyone else. i was very excited when i first got it, but just recently i did an AquaMark3 benchmark, and it got 9 FPS!

i'll leave it at that. so if you're wondering how ibuypower is......don't invest in their laptops, maybe their desktops are better though.

- i have tried other cables, and they all work on other desktops, just not on this anymore.

- i can connect to the internet w/ my network card adapter in there, so that's not an IP issue.

- re-booted more times than i can remember...

- all my hardware in device manager says "working properly", even updated drivers....

- and the other 2 desktops can go on-line, so the internet's not down.

so i'm stumped, worked fine for 4 months, then.......nothing.

thanks again for the suggestions. i'll keep trying other options before i have to send it back in 2 days.

oh yeah, my other problem was when i received it, the integrated wireless pci module did not work either, so i had to go out and buy a seperate network card.

Start run, CMD

Now type, ipconfig /all, check the port is connected and it should say if its working.

Now type,,,, ipconfig /release

Now

ipconfig /renew

You are now connected to the internet.

if you are not, check to see if the hub/router, light is on telling you that the port is sending power to the LED, on the hub/router. Sorry about repeating the IP thing, but it should tell you if its not working. It will say media/cable disconected.

well, still no luck connecting.

so i dug around and looked at radioshack, came up w/ the linksys Ethernet/USB adapter, bought it and tried to see for sure if it IS a hardware problem.

installed it in less than 1min, and bam! now i'm on-line again worry free!! so it IS a faulty RJ45 port.

because i'm still covered under warranty for 1 year, i will just hold on to this laptop till say, 11 months, then send it back for them to repair anything else that goes wrong till then.

just wanted to thank EVERYONE who gave me suggestions, i appreciate it.

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom