Energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athlon

In Runtime
Yes yes, another excuse for me to have to turn my computer and other stuff off at night is because of the electricity used. Please, tell me, does my computer being left on overnight use loads of energy? I'm talking in terms of an average PC, not an uber powered super ventilated gaming machine just a general computer.

Does my PC use as much energy as perhaps a refridgerator or a freezer? Maybe a television?

If they do then i can use your answers to prove my dad wrong and can happily leave my computer on overnight/throughout the day.

If you pay your own electric bill, and you go 1 month turning the PC off after every use, and pay the bill, and then leave it on 24x7 the next month, you WILL notice your bill is higher....

Me.... I leave it on 24x7 cause I don't care... I make enough money to cover it.. :D

you can always suspend your computer so you arent turning it off so to speak, but it wont consume near the ammount of electricity.. If im ont in the process of downloading something, I do that..

Also if you want to find out how much it costs you, get a meter that goes between the outlet and the power cord, see how much power your computer uses a day (i woudl check every day for a week then average it).

Call your power company adn ask how mych they charge per Kilowatt hour, then do the calculations on how much it costs a day..

if you're so electricity conscious, just unplug the power cord. even if electronics are in "off mode" it still consume electricity that's how you can remotely turn on your TV and even a turned-off monitor consumes few watts of power.

the yellow one said:
if you're so electricity conscious, just unplug the power cord. even if electronics are in "off mode" it still consume electricity that's how you can remotely turn on your TV and even a turned-off monitor consumes few watts of power.

Those things don't consume near the amount of electricity when off as they do when they are on. I doubt you would notice the difference on the electricity bill

oh yeah, a little here and a little here add up to what. few pennies? how many electionics are at your home, like the electricity company is going to pay for your "add-up-to-nothing" calculation.

I have my computer running Folding@Home for TF, so it stays on 24/7 (other than the occasional reboot... it's running Windows, after all).

It doesn't consume very much electricity, and I pay the bill anyway.

yeah, AMD K8 CPU's are great in terms of power consumption.
like Trotter, I have my system folding 24/7, with the occasional reboot.
I just turn the monitor off at night, that consumes the most power I think (it's a 21" CRT)

Thanks for the replies. If i leave my computer in standby, it will be like it is on, so things will download etc? When its on standby, isnt there a risk of things overheating because the computer is still running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom