Dvd Writers Not Regognised By Explorer (device Problems)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris H

Solid State Member
Hi, I hope that somebody can help me with this.
I have a Dimension 4500 2.4Mhz on XP Home Ed 2002 SP2.
I have two DVD writers that suddenly stopped working one day, for no apparent reason.
They show up OK in setup. In devices they both show correctly but both with the yellow exclamation mark " ! " for some reason. They do not show in Windows Explorer, in DOS or any other software.
Power is OK, drivers installed OK, have swapped drives and leads and no change. The drives used to show as E: and F:, as I have C: and D: for hard drives. Now there is simply no E: or F: or anything else outside the hard drives. Tried the writers individually in case of clash but no joy, switched masters to slaves, etc.
Looked at ASPI, various versions. Nothing doing.
Very annoying, would appreciate any suggestions as I am temporarily out of ideas after many days of work on the problem. Not looking to re-load XP as it never works easily and would probably end up in re-doing the whole computer which would take months that I cannot afford. Its starting to feel like a hardware problem but I suppose could still be software.
thanks, Chris 30/05/07

try unplugging one of your hard drives and plugging in one of the dvd drives on that ide cable to see if the ide port went bad on the mobo. I am pretty sure that your dell is ide and not sata. hopefully the cable is long enough for one dvd drive and your c drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom