DVD Writer Baffuling Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

linkk24

Solid State Member
Hi,

This is my first post so first of all I would like to say hello to everyone.

I am having quit a lot of problems and I hope that someone can help me.

I just puchised a LG Super Multi DVD +R/DVD-R/DVD-RAM/CD-R Model GSA-4082. I can not get this writer to work properly for the life of me. I have a Samsung CD RW/DVD Rom SM-348B already installed from when I got my Computer which is a Dell Demension 4550 P4 2.56GHZ Prosseser with 256MB DDR Ram 333MHZ with Windows XP Home. This Writer works with no problem what so ever. I also had a HP 300i DVD+R Writer in my computer witch I am replacing with this new one, and I had no trouble getting it to work. But when I hooked up the new drive, everything seemed fine until I tryed to play a DVD Movie. The picture is choppy, and the frames seem to speed up in certin spots f the movie. Also (and this I think is very wierd) When I move the mouse curser over the movie, it gets even worse. Now I have already returned my first drive that I recieved because I tought it was a hardware defect. They tested it and found no problems what so ever. They gave me a new one and the same thing happend. I got a hold of LG's support and spent an hour trying different this with no luck. I got the latest firmware, I tried to turn off my hardware accelerator, I,ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling my Power DVD, I,ve tryed different settings in Power DVD.I,v uninstalled and reinstalled the drive, I,ve tried it as Master and Slave and by itself. I,ve tried selective startup in windows and stopped all start up programs to see if there was a problem there and still no luck. The techi I was talking to from LG said he was going to check some things out and get back to me but never did(I think he was just trying to get me off the phone).

But if I take the same dvd movie and put it in my Samsung, it works great.

So I am at a loss, and very frustrated.

If anyone can help, or If anyone has had this problem please let me know.

Thanks

ok
so they tested it, it worked, they sent you a new one
the problem is not the cd drive.

It is a problem with your display, i'm not sure what... I'll check out Power DVD 4 you.. but I doubt thats the problem. Maybe a visual software conflict. Especially if it gets worse when you move your cursor.

moving your mouse WILL NOT AFFECT THE PERFORMANCE OF YOUR CD DRIVE ( which is another reason I suspect display software.

umm.. I'll check that out though, and see what I can find.
:)

hope i helped

Al

yeah.. reviews on the drive are excellent!
Power DVD is also some of the best dvd playing software.

I'm running out of ideas.
What kind of video support does it require?
I had a similar problem with divx....
divx and my nvidia files got screwed up, but then again,
a dvd player wouldnt need divx.
lol

hmm... someone plz help?

thanks
Al
but i think it might be something like that?

The strage thing is I uninstalled powerDVD and installed Nero Showtime and it seems to work a lot better ie: there is no problem moving the mouse and the picture doesnt seem that bad, however, When I try it in Windows Media player or Real Player, I still get the same touble. I don't have any trouble with my other drive though which is vexing me because why does it work and not my new one? And Why is it working better with Nero Showtime?

And my old dvd + R worked fine with all programs as well.

I have a NIVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 440 64 MB Video Card.

Thanks again

winblowz said:
ok
so they tested it, it worked, they sent you a new one
the problem is not the cd drive.

It is a problem with your display, i'm not sure what... I'll check out Power DVD 4 you.. but I doubt thats the problem. Maybe a visual software conflict. Especially if it gets worse when you move your cursor.

moving your mouse WILL NOT AFFECT THE PERFORMANCE OF YOUR CD DRIVE ( which is another reason I suspect display software.

umm.. I'll check that out though, and see what I can find.
:)

hope i helped

Al

I checked my Video driver and it is up to date

refresh rate? Does the audio get choppy, just vid or both? When they do get choppy does it seem out of sync or are they both chopy in step with each other. Also a BIG thing to check is go into DM and make SURE the IDE channel your DVD drive is on is NOT in PIO mode but is in DMA for its current transfer mode. If it is in PIO set it to DMA. Ive noticed sometimes service packs will for some ungodly reason set the IDE channel to PIO... dont ask why, I dont know and it doesn't happen all the time, in face doesn't happen very often, but its something to check.

killians45 said:
refresh rate? Does the audio get choppy, just vid or both? When they do get choppy does it seem out of sync or are they both chopy in step with each other. Also a BIG thing to check is go into DM and make SURE the IDE channel your DVD drive is on is NOT in PIO mode but is in DMA for its current transfer mode. If it is in PIO set it to DMA. Ive noticed sometimes service packs will for some ungodly reason set the IDE channel to PIO... dont ask why, I dont know and it doesn't happen all the time, in face doesn't happen very often, but its something to check.

Yes the audio and video step with each other out of sync. I have already checked the IDE properties and Use DMA if avalable is selected.

Found this, this person is using the same power DVD and thinks its the decorders so he downloaded the latest sonic codecs and then did the following to fix it, so may wanna check and see:

I had the same problem at first - turns out with the Sonic decoders you need to add a registry key (not sure if you always do but certainly happens to enough people):

create a DWORD registry value under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sonic\CineMaster DS DVD\2.5\VideoDecoder] called "AllowAllRenderers" and set it to 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom