DVD-ROM isuues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke Vader

Solid State Member
I just recently bought an eMachine from a friend, but it just had a CD-ROM on it...I have been using a Compaq 5822 pc for a year or so now and it has a DVD-ROM on it...so i took the DVD-ROM out of the compaq and put it in my eMachine and it seems to be working (as a CD-ROM at least)

the computer recognizes it and it now shows up in my hardware profiles as a Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-113R...just the same as it did in my compaq...

the DVD software that was on my compaq is InterActual...so i went into my C: drive on the compaq and copied the folder and burned it onto a disc...

but now, i need an installer for the software and i dont know what to do...

InterActual is the default program for the DVD-ROM when it is in the compaq, so would the restore disc for my compaq have the installer and the complete program on it? and if so, how would i go about getting it from that restore disc and install it on my emachine?

i wasnt sure if when i put the restore disc in the DVD-ROM (that is now on my emachine) would mess up anything and possibly start to reformat the HD if i tried to use it...so i figured i'd ask around a bit before i tried it...

and i'm not exactly partial to InterActual, i just figured i'd use it since it worked fine with the drive while it was in my compaq...and plus, this way i wouldnt have to buy new DVD software just because i switched which PC that the drive is in...

any help you can give is greatly appreciated :D

to install a program you cannot simply copy folders and files to another machine. you have to have a setup program. to get the interactual setup program you can use any movie that has the "interactual" logo on the dvd cover and put that dvd in your dvd drive and run its setup program, it should run automatically since CD autorun is enabled by default in windows.

i'm not sure if i have any DVD's with the InterActual logo on the case...is there any other way?

thanks

if you are not sure put the movie into your dvd drive and see if something autoruns on your computer. otherwise you could rent a movie with interactual on it. interactual is a very crappy dvd player. MS media player which comes free with windows ME/ XP/ 2000 can play dvd movies, just click the source and select dvd drive.

well now it tells me that i dont have a DVD decoder installed :(

any idea where i could get one?

also, is this referring to the driver for the DVD-ROM? if so, i still have those drivers from my compaq and could easily put them on this PC if that'll work...i already located the drivers from the compaq and burned them to a disk (along with alot of other files that i wanted to keep from the old PC)

dvd and cd drives do not need any drivers, the operating system will load generic device drivers for them automatically.

what player are you using? what is the message you get so we know which codec you need?

goto http://www.moviecodec.com/ click on video codecs. if you are using MS media player you should be able to download codeca automatically. if you are trying to play a regular dvd movie you should not be receiving that errors since dvd movies use MPEG2 which should be a basic function for that dvd player.

you may definitely download the software drivers for an hp-drive if the software is available and if this what the search throws up......

ekÆsine said:
dvd and cd drives do not need any drivers, the operating system will load generic device drivers for them automatically.

what player are you using? what is the message you get so we know which codec you need?

goto http://www.moviecodec.com/ click on video codecs. if you are using MS media player you should be able to download codeca automatically. if you are trying to play a regular dvd movie you should not be receiving that errors since dvd movies use MPEG2 which should be a basic function for that dvd player.

well, i'm not sure if it is a codec issue or not because i have all of the Divx and Xvid codecs because all of my avi's and mpg's play fine...

the error message that i am getting is telling me that i do not have a DVD decoder, which i'm guessing is what i needed all along instead of the DVD-ROM drivers...

i'm getting this message with InterActual, PC friendly InterActual, and with Windows Media Player...

271203-decoder.PNG

some friends of mine have a PowerDVD disc that came with their DVD-ROM...would this have the decoder on it that i need?

and if not, is there anywhere i could get a decoder without having to buy another program? like i said before, i hate to have to pay for another program when all i'm doing is switching which PC i have the DVD-ROM in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom