DVD problems in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelrose

Solid State Member
I have just installed windows xp onto my computer and I
have having serious problems with my dvd drive.

First off, windows sees it as a standered cd drive. The
hardware manager sees it as an adapi dvd drive but with a
generic cd-rom maker. When I attempt to insert any kind of
disk, it take several minutes for the drive to lock in the
disk. further more when I try to access the disk, it tells
me that there is an "I/O device error".

The drive is an "edo dvd 8216" I think. I can't find any
drivers and I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I having the same problems finding the drivers. Do you have any original drivers that came with the drive?

First off, I must admit that I had made a mistake. It's "EPO" and not EDO. Sorry about that.

As for the drivers, all it came with was a floppy disk and the WinDVD cd. All that's on the floppy is a program that adjusts the autoexec.bat for use in dos. At least I think that's what it does. I tried to run it and the program crashed so I guess it's for dos only.

Apparently XP should already have drivers for this model. You could try installing all the latest updates for Windows and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, you don't really have a lot of options as the company's website (http://www.epousa.com/) doesn't work. I found an email address you could try (service@epousa.com), but since the website is down there's no guarantees it'll work.

Tried that, nothing. I have a feeling it's just a matter of telling windows that it's a dvd drive.

Here's the funny thing though, in the properties for the drive it has a dvd region setting. So I think windows knows it's a dvd drive, it just can't read it right. I know it works because that's the drive I installed xp from. Go fig....

here's another little tidbit. I have problems ejecting the disk. I press the eject button and the drive starts to eject but then closes the tray in the middle of the process or else it doesn't eject at all, it just sits there and blinks at me. If I use the Xp eject in windows, it ejects right away. what the hell is wrong with this thing.

I'm starting to get a headache.

Yep, I installed WinDVD Platnium. I'm about ready to pull the drive out and just leave it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom