Dual Channel Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

gammacrush2000

Baseband Member
i'm considering getting 512mb of pc2700 ddrsdram for gaming.
i was just wondering about getting 2x256 or 1x512mb?
which performs faster? and why is 2x256 more expensive campared to 1x512?

well, your title and your question are two completely different things.

Dual channel RAM requires two matching sticks of RAM (2x256MB, for exmaple). If you mobo requires dual channel, you have to get 2x256 to add 512 or add a complementary stick to the one already in your computer.

hey, i just bought that board :) what i've read is that dual channel won't make much of a difference in speed.

your a7n8x deluxe board can take 128MB to 1024MB in each of it's 3 memory banks. to use dual channel yo should use banks 2+3 which are colored blue to differentiate. i think you should get a single module of low latency pc3200 or pc2700 512MB memory for gaming.

that way if you decide to get more ram you will have room. i think with pc2700 and pc3200 you can only use 2 banks max but i may be wrong.

Keep in mind with that board that if you want to optimize your FSB you need equal sticks of memory in at least 2 (the blue ones) of the banks. I suggest getting 2 sticks of 256meg insted of 1 512.

Check the manuel that came with your board, it has a few pages on the subject.

gammacrush2000 said:
whats gonna happen to the memory performance if i do 2x256? rather than 1x512? (FSB)

well, if you put that 1x512 stick in your dual channel slot, your computer will eitehr revert back to single channel mode or it wont turn on.

MicroBell said:
So...IMO....If your useing onboard video...I would consider useing dual channel..If not...then it doesn't matter as the speed increase is so small.

for gaming i would recommend 2x256 because you have both sticks of ram operating together faster then 1x512. I recommend (just cause they test it on the asus a7n8x) corsairs twinx line for dual channel mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom