Dual AMD XP vs AMD 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkVDBERK

Solid State Member
I am looking to buy a new system. Wondering whether it's worth the money getting the new 64 bit AMD chip or possibly building a dual AMD XP system.

Any input?

they do not make dual cpu motherboards for the AMD XP ( as far as i know). You would have to go with the AMD MP. Which are not bad. But another option to look at would be the Opteron. If money is a factor, you could consider getting a dual opteron board and when prices come down or you save up the money get the second CPU. I do not know enough about the MP series, im not even sure they are 64 bit compatible. But i hear that the amd 64 will have an amd 4000 out by 3rd quarter and they are not planing on changing the socket anytime soon. Either are good setups, just depends on what you plan on doing with them as to your needs.

i've heard of dual mobos that will accept normal XP processors. if i were getting a dual mobo i would get that. MP processors are too expensive. also you do not have to install 2 processors for the dual mobo to work, 1 proc is enough and you can install another identical proc later. both procs must be exactly identical.

what are you using this for? i hope you understand having dual proc mobos will not neccesarity make your programs run twice faster or your games either. the game or program must be able to take advantage of threading (i think thats the term). an example i think is the quake game and probably all 3D animation programs used for rendering still frame and animation.

my recommendation is since it cost the same amount of money to buy a dual proc comp you should just have 2 comps instead. makes it much more flexible and there is not a single point of failure. think about it, having dual comps instead of dual proc........

I would go with the 64 as you may not get all the performance out of the daul proc.. for certan apps but i may be a bit bias...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom