drive letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mundingburra_mi

Beta member
I have recently bought a new HDD (G drive) and put a clone of my old drive (C) on it. As the new drive is faster I want to run the system off it. Now the system runs on G drive and I have formatted the old drive and put a ghost on it.
The problem is that now I dont have a C drive and am having trouble installing some software.
DOes anyone know if there is some way that I can change my system drive letter back to C?

You have to start over.
The issue is that the system (OS) sees that as the drive letter it needs to use.
You will need to re-ghost that drive as the C drive to get this to work. That means that the new drive needs to be the only one seen when this happens. That way, it will be assigned as C.
does that help?

if u want to change ur drive letter, go into control panel admin options, computer services, computer management then disk management, right click the drive u want to change and tell it the letter. however u can't hav both drives having the same letter. so change drive c to something else, then change the drive u want to be c to c.

how do u spell capeish?? i'm not sure, but anyways do u understand the words that r coming out of my mouth??

Xp will not allow you to change a drive letter on an active drive.

From your post I am assuming that your orginal drive is on the primary IDE channel and the new drive is on the secondary.

What Inaris is suggesting (?) is to reclone "G" to "C" to restore the "C" drive as the primary drive. Then Place the new drive on the Primary IDE channel. The old drive as a slave or on the seconday IDE channel and reclone. This should restore your drive letters.

If you do not wish to go this far, when installing applications change just the drive letter in the install location option window.

Luck
Bill,Zhills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom