Dos/Windows 3.11 computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sex_machine

Beta member
I am an 80's/90's child an I am looking for a computer that will bring back the memories of my childhood. All I need is a garbage computer. I was quite the computer wizz in my days but since we stopped using X Tree Gold and Dos I have fallen behind. Someone please tell me what kind of computers I should be looking for and how much they would cost. It HAS to have:

CD drive
under $200

That's it I guess. I just need to play the classic dos games and Windows 3.11 games.

Ooo, if your looking for an old computer from the 80s don't expect it to have a cd rom drive. Most of the time they only have floppy drives. Believe me, I am just the same as you. I love old computers. In fact, I even took everything off of one and put my own crappy OS on it just for laughs. They are great for hacking and programming. If you want to find an old one ask your friends or anyone you know if they have any laying around. I have three and that is how I got all of them. This way you can get the garbage for free. Also see if you have any computer recycle centers where you live. They often times have several old computers for cheap since theres no demand for them.

PS-
When you get an old computer please do tell me what you have and maybe post some stuff you enjoy doing on your old DOS systems. By the way, I also am looking around for something that has like DOS on it or something. The computers I was talking about earlier only have (or had) windows 3.1. I haven't been able to find an old hardcore DOS one that has DOS as the primary OS. If you know of any sites (besides ebay) that is good for that type of stuff or if you know any good sites for people like you and me that like to hack into these old systems; please do share!

Yea, people give computers like that away all the time. Many times nobody will take them and they just through them in the trash. I remember my old Laser Pal 386SX, which at DOS 4.01, Windows 3.1, ran at 8MHz, with 1MB of RAM. Games I played on it included Lemmings, Jetfighter II, F117A, SimCity Classic, and God of Thunder. Old 16-bit Wolfenstein was probably the most advanced game it could run, and I did all kinds of mods and level creation for Wolf3d using that computer. Ahh..the nostalgia.

Yea actually my brother found a Mac Classic and some other PC in the trash. I just think it's easier to get it somewhere else.

or if you have a system already then use VMWare and that'll let you boot to completely different o/s within a window. I did this to get Ultima VII to run on my XP system. God, how I forgot the fun in having to configure autoexec and config to get some games running. Anyhow, yes you can do it in XP by using a virtual machine (dont confuse this with Java, I'm talking about a non-native o/s).

my dad works at a university and he would always bring home computers from the trash that were top-of-the-line like 6 years ago. One of the oldest ones used Windows 3.1.
How much are you asking for one and where do you live, like what state....

Nah, I need one that is like DOS man. Were talking before windows 3.1 . Something black and green that is like 8 bit and is command line stuff. You know what I'm talkin about.... like a commodore 64 or an old IBM

Hell! Commodore 64? My old elementary school used to be FILLED with those things! They were garbage, you had to type in like two pages of shit just to turn the damn thing on. They were slow, annoying, cheap, ugly, and lousy and I loved them.

hey i have this window of 1986 i don know its like windows 1.0 its only on 900kb's if any one wants it ill attach it .. let me know if so..!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom