Disk crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohell307

Beta member
I have a problem that I believe to be quite common, but I haven't got a clue about how to deal with it.

My disk, obvilously contaning gigabytes of vital information is dead, or it seems to be very ill.

It is an IBM Deskstar, model DTLA-307045.

When hooked up to my computer it gives some "squeeky" sounds, and it doesn't appear.

Anything at all that I can do, other than send it away and be flogged at the same time. Disk recovery conducted by professionals is extremely expensive.

Any pieces of software that will help me??

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

there is no software than can repair hardware that is critically damaged. if the data is important enough to you i would let the professionals copy your data. dont try to use the hard disk anymore to prevent further damage.

it is a good idea to backup your important data to another location, unfortunately this warning is coming much too late.

ive had 2 hard drives die on me, one 20GB laptop drive and one 12.7GB desktop drive
unfortunately you can't do much when a hard drive dies so it is probbably best to get a new hard drive, repairs to it are not worth it since you can usually buy a new drive cheaper - and if the data is really important to you, you should get the hard drive's data copied by the pros onto a new drive

Does the drive spin up. You can try the old freezer trick. Works one in a thousand times. Put it in the freezer for an hour and then hook it up. If you can see it try to copy as much data as possible before it crashes again. I deal with many bad hdds and my company often pays for the expensive data recovery. I have spoken with the people who do the recovery and anther thing theytry is to put a new controller on the HDD and see if that works. Also i hope you have learned your lesson on IBM hdds. Worst in the business imho. They are getting out of the HDD manufacturing business because of all the recalls that have been done on there drive. I have participated in a few recalls and there are rumours of another one to come. (this one for laptops.)

I've heard the the Ol' Freezer trick actually works pretty well & Apokolipse what was the Manufactuer of those HD's were those that died on ya?:confused:

I agree with ekÆsine.. If the harddrive is making sounds .. then it's probably a physical failure ..
In any case . if u still wanna try a recovery yourself .. then u can try Easy recovery Pro from http://www.ontrack.com/
Visit the site anywayz .. u can pick up some info on the costs of professional recovery

Again .. if ur data is real vital .. don't try messing with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom