Disconnected laptop screen to desktop

danhodge

In Runtime
Hey, so I went home over christmas and came back with a new laptop and 2 old ones with no further use, one of which was practically dead, so I decided I'd take apart my first laptop and have a play with it. And now that i've got the screen off, I thought it would be fun to connect it up to my desktop as a third screen to go on my table. Figured it could be useful for uni work and stuff.

The obvious problem is that the cable coming from the screen isn't one that would fit my desktop, so I was wondering whether there is a way of getting an adapter for it or something? I googled, and found out about control boards, but I was kinda hoping for a cheaper option. I'm wanting a raspberry pi in the future, I wouldn't mind having this as its portable little screen, so not needing a big control board would be nice :silly:

If it is the only option though, I have no idea where to start with this. Every place i've found to buy one that's compatible with my screen looks really shady and I have no idea what to look for.

Thanks for helping and if you need the specifics, model number for the screen is LTN101NT02, and i can try to help with anything else. Here are some photos to show what I have:
2016-01-14.jpg

U4WbjNlhbv7ujK63KxOskosz63D82Na3HJ9dakRtuOR66fP-mu1XssJrfoO0xX-lAs_c=w263-h467-no

2016-01-14.jpg

The laptop monitor uses a multi line hook up. 2 are power, 2 are SDL and SDC, and the rest I can't recall off the top of my head. It's directly incompatible with HDMI, VGA, or DVI. You'll have to find out what driver chip is in the screen and find a interface that gives you one of those formats as input.

Also you need to see if it's back lit using LEDs or tubes. If it's tubes be careful with the inverter. It will eat your cheerios for sure.

If you plan to run this off a Pi or an Arduino you'll need to find the specs on that chip anyway.

Back
Top Bottom