disable vpu-recover???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono21

Baseband Member
I have a sapphire radeon 9600XT 128MB, and I'm having freezing problems on some of my games, people said to do three things, disable fast write which was already done for me, set AGP to x4 (my system maxes at x4, so this was also set for me) and finally to disable vpu-recover. I just donno how to disable vpu-recover. I am running windows ME, and they only currently have catlstic 5.2 for windows ME, while windows XP has 5.3... My system is built on ME so i can't upgrade. Anyyone know how to disable the vpu-recover with windows me and catlstic 5.2?

My specs are:

pentuim 3
1000Mhz
Windows ME
320 RAM
200Watt psu
19GB harddrive
Before i had a geforce2mx400(32mb)
Now i have sapphire radeon 9600xt 128mb(runs at 64mb)

I know my system is outdated, but quite frankly i don't care, I meet the requirements for the video card so it should work for me.

try this...

right click desktop
settings tab (top right hand side)
advanced button (lower right hand side)
look for vpu recover tab and select it
toggle enabled vpu recover to disable (un-check it)
click ok

but, i'd format to winxp professional or win 2000

Hi

I had the same problem. I too have a 9600XT and with VPU recover any game I tried would crash. Just disable it in the ATI properties area and you should be fine. I would also enable fast write. Also you might want to upgrade to Windows XP or if you have to Windows 2000.

Hope this helps good luck.:)

Everyone says looks for the vpu recover tab, but i don't have one:

settings5lu.png

As you can see there is no tab for vpu recover... :(

ThatÂ’s odd. I've just checked my properties and I've got the VPU Recover tab. Maybe the Windows ME drivers don't have that option. You should probably email ATI technical support. If they can't help you then I doubt any of us here can.

You should probably just format the system and start again but this time with Windows XP or Windows 2000. Both Windows ME and Windows 98 aren't the best operating systems to play games on. I remember when I used to use them with my P3 and there wouldn't be one week where I didn't have problems. Every week something new. I spent more time fixing then playing. Anyways if I were you I'd dump ME and go XP or 2K. Much better for gaming performance and stability.

Accually my computer is a Dell, and Dell is stupid enough to basicly intergrate Windows ME on my system, I tryed running this card on Windows XP(Sent to me by a friend, I think he pirated it) in the first place, the system would'nt even turn on, I phoned dell and they said I need windows ME to run my card because my system can't support XP.

(sigh) I guess i'll try to reformat and install Windows XP again, i'm putting Cataltsc 5.3 on a disk so i can install that right after. Then after that i'll get the SP1 and 2.

Chrono21 said:
Accually my computer is a Dell, and Dell is stupid enough to basicly intergrate Windows ME on my system, I tryed running this card on Windows XP(Sent to me by a friend, I think he pirated it) in the first place, the system would'nt even turn on, I phoned dell and they said I need windows ME to run my card because my system can't support XP.
Manufacturers love to say that. Maybe that's why I've been building my own for the last several years. <DIGRESS=ON>I had a Compaq Presario (their "home" line) that I put Windows NT on because I was using it to do work at home. (This was a while back.) I couldn't get the Compaq modem to work because I couldn't find NT drivers. Emailed Compaq tech support and got back what looked like a canned response that Windows NT will not run on that computer and that I should upgrade to the business line (for mucho $$$). I already had it running; I just needed an NT compatible driver for their crappy modem. Went to the download area for the business computers, downloaded a few modem drivers for NT, and the first one or two worked.</DIGRESS>

I would be very surprised if Windows XP wouldn't run on your computer. I've put it on everything from a 900 MHz AMD Athlon to a Athlon 64 3200+ (with a couple Intels in there for good measure - including upgrading a laptop from XP home to XP Pro). Maybe the version you have has a problem if you think it's not legitimate. Also, with XP, you will need to register the system in 45 days with a valid license key or it will not boot thereafter.

Bleh, I couldnt get XP to install, my computer would not read the disk. I had to phone dell 4 times just to try to load windows XP on, no luck in the end Dell said i have to buy a Windows ME to Windows XP disk, which is different than the normal install disk or something...

I hate computers... :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom