Difficult Raid Configuration Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevermore

Baseband Member
Long story short: our server took a hit from a power surge that came in through our cable internet connection and went through the network hub. motherboard was (visibly) fried. I replaced the motherboard and reconfigured the bios, but whenever I boot I get:

A disk read error occured
press ctrl+alt+del to restart

The computer is running a promise FastTrak s150 sx4-M card, with 4 250gb hitachi sata 7200 rpm drives in a raid 5 configuration.

I realize that there are several possibilities for this error, including that I may not have the bios configured properly, but Ive had the tech who helped us configure it the first time look at it and he says it is fine. he also tested it w/ a couple bootable applications he had and the array was reporting itself as a 59gb drive, rather than a 750gb drive, so we may have some scrambled data or damaged hard disks.

According to the promise configuration screen, all 4 drives are working fine and are being reported as their proper size, and the array is reporting itself through the promise utility as its proper size of 750gb.

We are running this an an Asus a7n8x-e Mobo, with an athlon xp 3200+. Ati 9800 pro AIW video card, 1024 (2x512 in DC mode) of corsair XMS series ram.

When I go into bios and disable 1st, 2nd, and 3rd boot device, i get the exact same error message, so It seems to me that maybe it isnt even trying to boot from the promise card like it should be. in the bios where it asks RAID or SCSI card boot, i have tried both SCSI card (which i think should be correct) and RAID, but I still get the same message. For 3rd boot device I have SCSI selected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Well, I've not solved the problem, but I have more information. I am getting a blue screen of death every time I try to run a windows installation repair. It occurs at any seemingly random time during the process of copying the files from the cd to the hard drives. The messages are widely varied, including IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, as well as 0x0000008e which is a memory access error, and 0x00000024 which is an NTFS file system error. I have tested both the CPU and RAM in another system and they booted windows and ran PCMARK04 flawlessly.
If I let the machine try to boot I still get the same disk read error.
I've replaced the cd-rom, all the cables in the case, and the promise card, as well as the psu and mobo which I replaced initially after the hit. none of this has had any effect.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions... i am about to pull my hair out. :)
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom