Which desktop PC monitors rival the 'Thunderbolt' display? 4k?

King$nake

In Runtime
Hello, I am wanting to build a new PC and want to get away from my 22" Acer monitor. Its been a good monitor, but I bought it in 2007 so its time for a substantial upgrade.

Anyways, I would like to go atleast 26" for my next monitor. Which monitor do you guys suggest that looks good if not better than the Apple 'Thunderbolt' display?

I havent even seen any of the new 4K monitors in person, so I dont know how good they look.

What suggestions might you guys have, and what can I expect to pay for a monitor like that? Under $1k is preferred.

Thanks

You want 4k and IPS quality so you're looking at about a grand worth of display. Got that kinda cash for the monitor itself? Thunderbolt is just a data port, so it doesn't actually help with "quality" more so just bandwidth.

Interesting. What does 'IPS' mean? I can spend up to $1k for the monitor.

All I am really big on is the visuals. I absolutely love the bright, vivid display of the Thunderbolt monitors - I have yet to see a PC monitor that is comparable, but I have been out of the loop for a while.

Have any specific recommendations for a monitor?

Please do not take this as a rude comment as I'm really not trying to be rude, but how does somebody who's been working in graphic design and the like not know what an IPS display is?

IPS panels are known for high color accuracy and wide color gamut, or rather "vivid colors" ect. The reason you like the Apple display so much is because it's going to be an IPS panel. These are expensive panels mainly aimed towards people like you (actually). Thunderbolt is irrelevant to the quality of the panel just for clarification.

You're used to a TN panel which are cheaper and aimed more towards the mainstream crowd. You have higher end TN panels that are aimed towards gamers which is where you'll find higher refresh rates and lower response times.

Since 4k hasn't matured, your options are still pretty limited. For instance, one of the only IPS 4k panels Newegg has is 2k.
Dell UltraSharp UP3214Q Black 31.5" 8ms HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor IPS 4K 50 ~ 300 cd/m2 2,000,000:1 - Newegg.com

Please do not take this as a rude comment as I'm really not trying to be rude, but how does somebody who's been working in graphic design and the like not know what an IPS display is?

IPS panels are known for high color accuracy and wide color gamut, or rather "vivid colors" ect. The reason you like the Apple display so much is because it's going to be an IPS panel. These are expensive panels mainly aimed towards people like you (actually). Thunderbolt is irrelevant to the quality of the panel just for clarification.

You're used to a TN panel which are cheaper and aimed more towards the mainstream crowd. You have higher end TN panels that are aimed towards gamers which is where you'll find higher refresh rates and lower response times.

Since 4k hasn't matured, your options are still pretty limited. For instance, one of the only IPS 4k panels Newegg has is 2k.
Dell UltraSharp UP3214Q Black 31.5" 8ms HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor IPS 4K 50 ~ 300 cd/m2 2,000,000:1 - Newegg.com

Thanks! It was a bit of my budget but I just ordered the UP3214Q. Even got the 2-day shipping - cant wait to see this setup. Ill set it up on my current PC until the new one is completed. Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom