Dell POS won't POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilowe

Daemon Poster
All right,

My work bought a few new Dell computers. These computers get setup in one office, then shipped to this office. One of these computers won't POST. So I thought it was one of three things - CPU, Graphics card, or RAM. The graphics are built into the mobo, so I really doubt that it's the graphics card. I've reseated the RAM. The CPU is buried under a ton of junk, and I'll probably break half of the plastic stuff thats over it, so I don't want to try that.

Do you guys have any other ideas? The computer administrator up here is calling IM right now, since they set the computer up to begin with.

I think it sounds more like a power supply issue then anything else. Did you check the switch on the back to see if it is set to 220v or the switch is set to off? Do the fans spin or is the system just dead??

The keyboard lights (number lock and caps lock) come on. I hear fans spinning. System is really quiet, though.

I would imagine that this system worked at one time, because it was setup in another office, then shipped to us here. My thought, and the administrators thoughts were that something had come loose in shipping, but I don't know now.

All right, I feel like an idiot. Administrator setup the first computer. I also received a new computer, and set that one up. Noticed that there was a digital output on my computer, and that the monitor had one too. I ignored it, because nobody had said that we were using the digital outputs. Same thing happened on mine, I received no POST beep, and nothing on the monitor. Changed the cable to the digital output, and miraculously, the XP boot screen showed up on screen. Checked the other computer, and what do you know.

Thanks for your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom