dead motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
My computer kept crashing all the time, and I was getting sick of it.

I remembered there was a switch box on my motherboard - a Gigabyte 6VXE+ F9, slot 1 (and using a slot 1 to socket 370 card) - next to the expansion cards which I hadn't changed since I swapped out the 700MHZ CPU for the 933 (which I was able to overclock to 1050)
so I went and found what it was, sort of...
apparently it has to match the multiplier on my CPU. I found it to be 3.5 (while my CPU is 7) so I thought this might have been the problem. so I switched it to 7 - the motherboard showed the settings, but not up to 7, so I looked it up on Gigabyte's site
when I turned it on, it wouldn't boot (completely black screen, no beeps)
so I switched it back to 3.5 and now it still doesn't boot (still black screen and no beeps)

now, I tried changing a whole lot of setings, even taking out practically everything except for CPU, 1 stick of RAM, video card, even swapped the video card out for a Rage IIC I have laying around, and put the 700MHZ CPU back in, and still no luck.
so I figured I may have shorted something.

now I am thinking about what sort of motherboard to replace it with
I want one that has:
socket 370 preferrably, but I can use slot 1 (I have a converter)
can run at 150MHZ FSB or higher
supports at least 1GB RAM with at least 3 DIMM's
at least AGP 2x (preferrably 4X aswell)

I've googled around and I think the Abit VH6-II is about the ideal board, except for the voltages it uses. it has AGP 4x, and supports over 150MHZ FSB, 1.5GB RAM, is socket 370 and can run the FSB and RAM at different speeds - so if I want my CPU higher than 150FSB, I can have my RAM lower if it can't reach that speed

I was also considering upgrading my video card (Nvidia TNT2 Pro 32MB) to, say, a Geforce 4 Ti (AGP 4x)
although from what I've seen, most resellers only have them for at least $220 (aus)
so I was thinking maybe I could go to the swap meet tomorrow and see what I can find there.

so, any feedback on this would be appreciated

okay, I went to the swap meet, they didn't have the board I wanted, so I settled for a Gigabyte 6oxm7e.
it looked like a good board, but it only supports a 133MHZ FSB and 512MB RAM.
maybe I'll try a BIOS update and see if it helps

also, by some major fluke, the motherboard in the family PC died also. right after I got mine from the swap meet.
so now we're going to get the system upgraded to the following:
Gigabyte Geforce FX5200
MSI KM4M
512MB Pc3200 Kingston
Athlon XP 2800+
this is actually a LOT better than it had before. so far I have the video card (bought it off a friend for $30 AU) and I should be getting the parts tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom