DDR2 and AMD: Jumping the Shark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
Advanced Micro Devices, who has always been very conservative over DDR2 support, is reported to be considering to skip support of DDR2 SDRAM and jump on the bandwagon of DDR3 or XDR memory later during the decade.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20050422004356.html

This decision can have a serious impact and has the possibility of making or breaking either Intel or AMD. If AMD chooses to stick with DDR Intel may crash and burn with their overpriced platforms, but AMD may slip behind in performance sticking to DDR for such an extended period of time.

I personally, am physched over this news, and hope that AMD carries through with it and sticks with DDR. That not only means that my DDR I buy now may still have future applications, it also means the price of DDR modules will just keep dropping and dropping making AMD a very affordable and powerful platform. :D

I completely agree gaara. Now I know I didn't waste money on good DDR1 haha....and by the time I need to upgrade to DDR3 it will DEFINITELY be time to ugprade the computer haha.

gotta love this part:

Samsung Electronics announced in mid-February it had made the worldÂ’s first 512Mb memory chip which complies to next-generation DDR3 standard and can operate at the speed on 1066MHz. The prototype operates at 1.5V and transfers data at the speed of 1066Mbps

Hmmmm delicious! You know also they will just keep stretching the limits of DDR1 memory further and further. I believe currently OCZ was able to get DDR800 lol, that's insane.

The one main thing of course is that XDR doesn't come out ridiculously priced like RDRAM.......

Man, 1000+ pinned CPUs with dual core architecutres, 1mb+ of L2 cache and probably well over 10gb/sec memory bandwidth!?!

Ahhhh! :drool:

Indeed, and it's funny that just yesterday I was asking myself 'is it really worth buying G.Skill PC4400 for just the overclocking headroom?' Now, I can safely say that yes, it is. :D

I am seriously hoping they follow through with this. I'm confident that they will since they've been so reluctant to DDR2 so far, and with DDR speeds constantly climbing with MUCH better timings I wouldn't see why not.

I wanna see DDR carried over to Socket M2, I'll hold onto my socket 939 system until near the end of the newer socket, snag a processor and parts for cheap, pop in my old RAM and whoosh, I'm off. :D

Then in 2009 when they introduce their next platform or whatever then they move to DDR3 which by then should be both affordable and wicked fast, and I'll be happy, happy, happy. :D

And yeah, I don't like the idea of XDR RAM, they should just stick to DDR similar to what GPU manufacturers are doing. DDR memory has been proven to have no limits as of yet, sooooo don't fix what isn't broken.

I'm so freaking happy though, this news made my day. :D :D :D

They were saying 2nd half of 2006 they'd start to impliment the new DDR I thought? or 2nd half of 2007

The only thing I see about 2009 is they hope to have 85% of the market flooded with DDR3

Yeah, chances are they'll introduce DDR3 to the socket M2 platform which is due out in the first half of next year. I'd just personally prefer it if they kept socket M2 to DDR1, but I'm confident my socket 939 will hold up so I'm not really concerned.

I think its a good idea that AMD is skipping DDR2 and going to DDR3. It is kinda hard for AMD to jump on every new type of memory like Intel can due to the on-die memory controller vs the Northbridge chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom