DDR RAM problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMarcDee

Baseband Member
I have two computers with the same motherboard in them, This motherboard has slots for both DDR and SDRAM, it is a Matsonic MS9327E+(USB) Mainboard. One of these computers has had a single stick of 512mb DDR in it ever since I got it, it has always worked fine. The other system has had 2x256 SDRAM sticks in it up until recently. I have been wanting to upgrade to a gig of DDR for a while and I finally found a 1 gb stick for a good price and bought it. I put it in my system (take the SDRAM out first), start up the system and it works perfectly fine and normal, so then I shut down the system so I can put my computer back together and put it where its supposed to be, then when it back on it just won't work at all, I get a BSOD every single time. I then tried that 1 gb stick in the other system(the one that already has a 512 stick) and it doesn't work over there either, so I return the stick, after unsuccesfully trying the RAM in other slots and stuff like that, for a refund.

About a month later(a week ago) I buy 2x 512mb sticks of DDR and put them into my system. It starts up perfectly fine and normal and then I shut it down, when I restart it gives me BSODs a couple times and then the computer just won't turn on. So then I take one stick out turn the system on, it works, turn the system off, put the other stick back in, then its working fine again. By this time I afraid the turn the computer off now because I think it might not work but I can't keep it running forever.

So I have to restart it pretty soon and it gives me another BSOD, then the next restart it gives me the message saying "your computer wasn't properly turned off last time would you like to 1. start safe mode 2. last working config 3. normal", that kind of message and I select normal. It starts up at 640x400 (something like that) and 4-bit color looks like crap. I have to reinstall my video drivers and thenrestart again. And now it works fine. I have had to do this whole thing pretty much every time I restart my computer(I havent yet actualy turn it off since I got it working I've only restarted).

Right now I am thoroughly confused as to what is wrong, is it my motherboard, is it just the DDR slots on my motherboard, I highly doubt its the RAM-Motherboard compatibility because I have checked that many times. I don't really want to resintall my video drivers every time restart and I don't want to have to switch my RAM out all the time if I shut down and it doesnt work. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before? Is there anything I can do? I'm thinking I might just need to get a new motherboard, but I'd rather not if there is some way to get it working.

What kind of RAM is that? Dimm or Simm? Also, is that PC2100? When that screen comes up, click start normally.

Dimm pc2100. A while back I accidently clicked last good configuration and it did the same thing setting my display settings back, But I have been clicking start normal and it still does it.

This may b e a dumb question,but MrMarcDee....is the RAM you are trying to install dual channel perhaps?

Sorry,just an afterthought.....Have you tried to go into CMOS to see if the RAM registers there?

The ram can be Dual Channel, but they wont work in Dual channel, only reason there marked Dual Channel is because they are both the exact same kind, and theyve been tested to work with dual channel.... Or atleast i think nubius or someone of great kowladge has said that before.... (err is that how you spell knowladge?)

Well,with dual channel RAM,you have to have two chips of the same specs,sort of like SIMMs,otherwise they will not work.As far as spelling.....I'm not really sure what U were trying to spell....LOL.

They are the exact same chips but I don't know anything about dual channel.

Now my computer seems to just be acting very badly. I have crashed out of The Matrix Online game (the reason for upgrading the RAM in the first place) numerous times over and over again, my keyboard software just decided not to work, Virus scan turns up nothing, ad-aware turns up nothing but cookies. I've tried to start uninstalling things from my computer but C&C Generals uninstall just wouldn't start up, at all. I think there is something very wrong with my computer and I have a suspicion that it has to do with the motherboard, but other than that I have no idea.

Is it possible to find a motherboard that will support everything else that I already have in my computer, even the processor? Where would I look, would it be cheap, how hard would it be to find?

I had the same problem once. When I first upgraded to 2x 512MB DDR I would get the BSOD too. After returning to the shop and getting a replacement and trying every config I could I found that it was the BIOS. Apparently my brand of RAM was not supported but thankfully Gigabyte had a BIOS update to rectify that. Now the whole system works perfectly.

Maybe you should try updating the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom