D drive trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

JChamp

Baseband Member
Hey all,

I just finished upgrading from 2000 to xp and everthing checks out ok except for my cdrw/dvd combo drive - xp seems to be unable to detect it.

When I click into "my computer" the drive does not show up. When I click on the short cut to the cd drive that I still have on my desk top I receive the following message:

"The drive or network connection is unavailable. Make sure the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available and try again."

Is this a simple fix? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

OK,

It's indeed showing up in the bios. Major, are you saying to disconnect just the cd-drive from the mobo, or everything?

OK, I've tried all the aforementioned advice to no avail. Anything else I can try? Could this be a driver problem?

try downloading another driver, but even if the driver was bad XP would pick up the drive. if you're sure its in BIOS, try doing XP's Add Hardware wizard in Control Panel. try a new cable, a new channel on the mobo etc..

btw: aforementioned is a big word!

oh please for the love of god dont do that... theres no need at all! just buy a new drive or keep trying things.. theres got to be a simple answer. maybe the drive is broken??

I don't think the drive is broken. It powers up fine, begins to read disks (then disengages), and it worked fine when operating with Win 2000. I'm stupified here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom