CUstom BIOS Splash

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP4LIFETN

Daemon Poster
So I finally got around to making a custom boot splash, and apparently they all have to be 640x480 resolution, and 8-bit color depth, Im wondering if theres any program out there which will do a conversion without losing a lot of the quality.

This is my custom BIOS splash so far, but as you can tell, the colors suck.

heres link to orig http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6888/85072099.png

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,267
There isnt going to be anything that can save quality. Not when you try to add such items to your boot screen. Check out Wincustomize and their bootskins. they might be able to help you make it look more smooth. But your not going to get that great quality with 8 colors.

Either way, I doubt the regular BIOS load screens use more than 8 colors, just like the loading screens.

Like the others said, with only 8bit color, you're not gonna get good quality no matter what when you try to use images that have such "advanced" color schemes, shall we say.

I think to create a custom BIOS Splash you need to see if you can edit the BIOS to include it. I have seen it done a couple of times before but it took a lot of work.

If you already know how and are jsut looking to tweak the image, again i would suggest checking out Wincustomize. Their bootskins have the same limitations and they have a program setup designed to create the images. So i dont see why it would be much different to create a bootskin, or save it as a image for your BIOS.

ASUS mobos have a program built in that lets you customize the BIOS splash, i wouldn't know how to do it otherwise lol. Thx, gotta see how stretched this looks on 1920x1200

Changing the BIOS Splash Screen

To eliminate the branded splash screen associated with your BIOS, you need to obtain the firmware update for your BIOS and edit the logo file that's part of the BIOS fileset before applying the update. Since every computer model and manufacturer uses a slightly different BIOS configuration, it's important to get the BIOS specific to your computer from the support section of the manufacturer's Website. In some cases, like my HP laptop, it's become virtually impossible to replace the logo because the BIOS flash process is contained in an .exe file that runs locally in Windows rather than from a separate disk.

Assuming your PC manufacturer has you create a floppy designed to flash the PC bios, you can fairly easily make a change to the logo displayed. In following the directions to create the BIOS boot disk, simply replace the included logo.bmp file in the BIOS update package with a logo.bmp file created by you. The key here is to use a 16 color (NOT 16-bit color) 640x480 BMP file. Copy your logo.bmp file onto the disk used for your BIOS update and run the bundled logo.bat file by double-clicking it. This converts the logo.bmp to a format ready for the BIOS update.

It's vital to keep all the files in the BIOS update named exactly as they were or your computer may not work after the update. Any changes made to BIOS update files should be done at your own risk and with extreme care.
Source

You should be able to use the Bootskin images if you find one you like.

Either way, I doubt the regular BIOS load screens use more than 8 colors, just like the loading screens.

Pretty much. I use the Gigabyte Untility to put in our company logo, and I can not say I am 100% happy with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom