Crackling beep noise before Windows starts, keyboard problem !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev269

Solid State Member
Hi,

I'm having a serious problem with keyboards on my computer which is really starting to bug me!

I have been having problems with my keyboard recently but now it just got a whole lot worse. I have my PS/2 keyboard plugged in and each time I turn the computer on, is gives out a continuous low pitched beep like a crackling noise, until the Windows XP black background logo appears and then Windows loads like normal but the keyboard doesn't work.

I know it must be something to do with the motherboard, because when I take the keyboard out and boot up, there is no beeping.

This is the even stranger part which i don't understand.... I had bought one of these PS2 to USB converters which plugs onto the end of the keyboard and I plugged it into the USB, there is also no beeping sound, but although it says 'New USB Device Found' when Windows has loaded, it then goes on to say 'USB device not recognized'. I even tried this on another Microsoft keyboard and the same thing happened.

My motherboard is an Asus P4P800SE. I have had it for about 9 months. Do you think maybe it would be covered under the warranty?

Thanks for your help.
Kev.

You try a different keyboard? It sounds like maybe that keyboard is screwed.

yep, ive tried a few keyboards and the exact same thing happens.

The thing that I really don't understand is why when I put a USB keyboard in, it is not recognized. I use the PS/2 to USB adaptor...is this the reason? thanks.

You have to login for that to work so the OS can install the nessesary drivers (For the USB keyboard)

1. Check yer BIOS to see if you have them set to startup with USB support (if that option is available on yer mobo). If not, your PC won't allow USB components to work until Windows comes up and fires off the USB support.

2. Check the ports, make sure you haven't broken or damaged them.

3. Remove the internal speaker.

i had already logged in because i dont have a login password thing set on my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom