CPU too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritalin

Beta member
I just put together my own computer, with an Intel D865GLC motherboard and a Pentium 4 3GHz with HT technology. But one thing thatÂ’s bothering me is Intel Desktop Utilities tells me my CPU is at a temperature of 118F, and when I play games like half-life 2 it sometimes goes up to over 150 (over 60C). Is it overheating? I added an extra case fan but it doesnÂ’t seem to help.

Ok, that is just way too hot. My Pentium 4 @ 3.85 GHz from 2.8 stays below 67C on full load so I would think that P4 should at least stay below 55C. Is that Pentium 4 on Socket 478 or LGA775? Are you using a stock heatsink?

It is socket 478, i am using the heatsync that came with it, and to my knowledge it's functional.

its the little sensor that detects temperature, because +60c sounds like critical levels even for a prescott, speaking of which is it a prescott or a northwood core?

No, actually it is his heatsink. The LGA775 stock heatsink is the best air cooling you can get for the LGA775 P4/Celeron D processors. This is not true with the Socket 478 stock heatsink as it is very low quality and it can't do very high speeds. The LGA775 heatsink is rated up til 4700 RPM where as the Socket 478 one stays at the standard 2500+/-10%. You need to get a new heatsink...

I had a technition test an identical heatsink on this processor, but with the same temperatures. Why would intel ship a bad heatsink with their processors with software that says its overheating? ;x

Typically the standard shipped heat sink and fan are the cheapest thing the manufacturer can put on there and keep the computer functional until your warrenty runs out. If you want to verify that it's not the heatsink, use a better heat sink. Case helps more with CPU temp if your running high heat from extra hard drives, beefy video cards, extra DVD, CDROM, and burners. If you only have the typical, 1 hard disk, 1 CD/DVD Drive, Floppy, 1 video card, 1 sound card, 1 network card setup, then you probably won't notice a case fan help much. But if you have say 2+ Hard drives, a CDROM AND a DVDROM/Burner, plus all the other stuff, and perhaps the room your in is over 75f degrees, then you may notice some help from a case fan.

Try either a new processor of the same type or a new CPU Heat sink. Also make sure your Heatsink has a fan to help with the heat disapation.

That heatsink was designed for Northwood processor, not for Prescotts. That is the main reason Intel switched the P4 Prescott from 478 to 775. It isn't a bad HSF, it is just designed for an older core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom