CPU heatsink base keeps breaking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pityocamptes

Beta member
I was hoping someone could help me with this problem. About a year ago I built a system (P4 2.8g / Intel board) and it has been working great up until a month ago. About a month ago, while on the computer, I got the blue screen of death saying the system was shutting down due to CPU temps exceeding monitor values. I found out after looking at the CPU that one of the plastic hooks (heatsink socket base) broke off (this base had a plastic hook on aopposite sides with a metal bar that came down and locked it in place). I took it back to the store and it was still under warranty (although they gave me a rash) and replaced it with a different style. This style has four square holes on all four sides and a metal clip engages into the holes and holds the heatsink down. Anyway, yesterday I go to boot the system up and I hear an alarm going off inside the case. The system immediately shut down. I looked inside and sure enough one of the square holes had broken and the metal clip slipped out.

The first time the plastic hook on the lower left broke, this time the plastic square broke on the lower right.

Is it possible that moving the tower could have twisted the board ever so slightly an dthe mounting holes broke? The MOBO is attached to the right side of the case cover and the mouting holes for the heatsink base go through the MOBO and into four nuts that are attached to the case as well.

I usually keep the left side of the case off for ventilation and easy access. I did clean the house this weekend and moved furniture around, including the tower. Is it possible that this could be the problem. If so What steps should I take to keep this from happening? Is there a heatsink/heatsink socket out there that is durable or may have multiple mounts? Finally, does anyone think that I have damaged the CPU? I did not see any problems the first time this happened and I am hoping the Intel utility saved the CPU. Any checks I can do once the system is up and running to see if the CPU is damaged? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom