CPU/Case/PSU questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayaprayer

In Runtime
I'm looking to quiet my PC down. Most of the noise seems to becoming from my CPU fan, but also my case is crap so it doesn't really suppress the noise at all. Would I be better off getting just a new CPU fan (currently I'm just using the one that came with my CPU) or a new case? or both?

Also I've used all my molex connectors on my PSU. Is it healthy to run splitters off them? Or should I get a bigger PSU? I currently have a 450 watt one. I run 2 CD/DVD drives, 1 HDD, 1 temp monitor, my video card, and 2 fans. I was looking at adding another HDD and maybe a fan control. Would this be safe with just some "Y" splitters?

Well if you really want to then get new case and fan. If you want to save some money, then just getting a newer, quieter cpu fan would do fine. Just make sure it is of equal CFM or more.

Get a more powerful PSU, a good, 850W PSU would probably have enough molex connectors for you. don't split them, because if you do it will be like splitting speakers, the more they split, the poorer the sound quality is, if you split your molex connectors, your computer won't be getting enogh juice.

You can use "Y-Splitters" but only use them on optical drives and other devices that require little power. Never Split molex's to a videocard or to HDD's.

850W PSU... lol Yeah... We all need one of those...

HAVOC2k5 said:
You can use "Y-Splitters" but only use them on optical drives and other devices that require little power. Never Split molex's to a videocard or to HDD's.

850W PSU... lol Yeah... We all need one of those...

My X-Connect is modular, and to try to keep my case neat, i used a Y splitter for my dual DVD/CD burners. They gave me all sorts of problems, and i put another cable in, so i had one for each drive. Now its fine. I wouldnt use y-splitters anywhere if possible

i would think that it is more the psu than the cpu fan. most psu fans are way noiser. another way you could get rid of the noise is using a fanbus and adjusting the speed according to what your doing so that it's not loud all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom