Constant uptime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
I have an amd-k6 2 computer that I would like to use as a server. It has no case fans (but I have taken the case cover off) and a normal cpu fan (about 3 inches square). Can it stand running 24/7? If not, what do I need to do to allow it to do so?

Does your case have spaces for a couple fans?
This will all depend on what it's going to be used for. How much of a work load are you intending for this PC? I have been running a similar PC (with a couple case fans) with the same processor that I once used as a FTP server. It ran linux great for a while (about a year) but then I just replaced it with a better machine. But it still runs fine!

-Mike

It depends what the load is going to be like. I ran Slackware 24/7 on a K6-2 500MHz with only a monster heatsink (no fan) on the CPU and the fan in the PSU. It never gave me any trouble for the 6 months I had it like this, but it was mostly a web/ftp server so it was never under that much load.

The only opening is in the front, for a large fan, but it's blocked by the front part of the case, but like I said the cover is off so it has plenty of air cirulation. The machine is running Mandrake Linux 10.0 with Apache 1.3, MySQL 4.0, PHP 4.3.6 (I think), a fairly recent version of proftp (came w/ the os), and ddclient. It has x w/KDE 3.2 (Not sure about that, but it is 3.x), but I can shut those down (how?). I don't expect a lot of traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom