Connect monitor using D-subminiature (D-Sub) for video to laptop using high definition media interface (HDMI) output

Malooq Tariq

Solid State Member
Hello,

I have a monitor with a D-subminiature (D-Sub) port that gives video on screen that I want to connect to a laptop with a high definition media interface (HDMI) output that gives audio and video. Also, I want to have audio from the monitor with a D-subminiature port to come through the speakers that are inside my laptop.

What device is there to connect a monitor using a D-subminiature (D-sub) port to a laptop that uses a high definition media interface (HDMI) output with audio to come on the laptop from the speakers inside the laptop?

Thanks for all your help. Enjoy your day, have a good future and live well.

Last edited:
HDMI to VGA adapter and leave playback device set to laptop speakers.

Thanks for your help. The high definition media interface is a output on my laptop that means a high definition media interface output connects to a D-subminiature monitor to get audio. Is this product the right device to do that? Link to high definition media interface to convert to a D-subminiature connection - https://www.amazon.co.uk/TechRise-H...=1491167060&sr=8-9&keywords=vga+to+hdmi+audio

What is difference between a product like this, that is a D-subminiature connection to a high definition media interface in comparison to a high definition media interface that connects to a D-subminiature connection?
Link to product that is D-subminiature connection to a high definition media interface - VGA to HDMI 1080P HD AV Converter HDTV Audio Video Cable Adapter For PC DVD STB | eBay

Thanks for all your help.

The difference is which way the signal goes, and you can just say VGA to HDMI and HDMI to VGA like myself and the links say.

The first link takes HDMI out of your laptop to a VGA input of a screen. The second link takes VGA output out of the laptop and inputs to HDMI input of a screen.

Judging simply from what you said here

I have a monitor with a D-subminiature (D-Sub) port that gives video on screen that I want to connect to a laptop with a high definition media interface (HDMI)

You need the first adapter. I have the same kind of adapter to output video from my laptop to an older projector I use outside.

Thanks for all your help to explain high definition media interface goes to D-subminiature and D-subminiature goes to High definition media interface.

You mean I need to the buy the first adapter, that is High definition media interface (HDMI) to D-Subminiature or VGA adapter that is here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TechRise-H...=1491167060&sr=8-9&keywords=vga+to+hdmi+audio.
Usb type c - https://www.datapro.net/techinfo/what_is_usb_type_c_usb_c.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power_related_specifications
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0
USB Type-C and Power Delivery | Products | TI.com

Thanks for all your help to explain high definition media interface goes to D-subminiature and D-subminiature goes to High definition media interface.

You mean I need to the buy the first adapter, that is High definition media interface (HDMI) to D-Subminiature or VGA adapter that is here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TechRise-H...=1491167060&sr=8-9&keywords=vga+to+hdmi+audio.

I am thinking of powering my monitor, that is a Nec, the model is Nec lcd1760nx using USB 2.0 instead of using a united kingdom, 240 volt power socket. I am going to find a way to make a strong connection between my 15inch, 1080p laptop screen for the 15inch Nec lcd1760nx monitor to be on the right side. Also, using a hinge or another fold up way to attach the 15inch Nec lcd1760nx means the monitor is flat when on top of my laptop making using the laptop with two screens when travelling a lot easier. I have two USB 2.0 ports on my laptop. Each USB 2.0 port gives 500 milliamps. Two USB 2.0 ports give 1 volt. 1 volt is 1 watt. Thus, I need much more power to use the monitor using a USB 2.0 port on my laptop. How can I power my monitor using a USB 2.0 connection on my laptop?
USB 3.0 in the power delivery format on Wikipedia gives 20 volts, that is 100 watts of power. If I use two USB 3.0 ports using a USB 3.0 adapter, that gives 10 volts, that is 200 watts of power, that should be enough to power the monitor.

The voltage usage for the monitor is 100-120/220-240V @ 50-60Hz. The amount of power the monitor uses when on is 38 Watts. The amount of power the monitor uses on power saving setting is 2 Watts. The monitor's highest resolution is 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hertz per second. The weight of the monitor with the stand is 15.0 pounds or 6.8 kilograms. The weight for monitor without stand is 9.3 pounds or 4.2 kilograms.

I've never seen someone this consistent in not using the generally accepted acronyms :lol:

Unless you really know what you're doing with circuitry, I would very strongly advise against it. You'll more than likely screw something up on the laptop, the monitor, or both. better to probably buy a USB powered monitor made specifically for this.

I've never seen someone this consistent in not using the generally accepted acronyms :lol:

Unless you really know what you're doing with circuitry, I would very strongly advise against it. You'll more than likely screw something up on the laptop, the monitor, or both. better to probably buy a USB powered monitor made specifically for this.

This is the original post that is now not a post on this thread for a reason, probably because for removing post.

The original post is here: Thanks for all your help to explain high definition media interface goes to D-subminiature and D-subminiature goes to High definition media interface.

The difference is which way the signal goes, and you can just say VGA to HDMI and HDMI to VGA like myself and the links say.

The first link takes HDMI out of your laptop to a VGA input of a screen. The second link takes VGA output out of the laptop and inputs to HDMI input of a screen.

Judging simply from what you said here

You need the first adapter. I have the same kind of adapter to output video from my laptop to an older projector I use outside.

I am thinking of powering my monitor, that is a Nec, the model is Nec lcd1760nx using USB 2.0 instead of using a united kingdom, 240 volt power socket. I am going to find a way to make a strong connection between my 15inch, 1080p laptop screen for the 15inch Nec lcd1760nx monitor to be on the right side. Also, using a hinge or another fold up way to attach the 15inch Nec lcd1760nx means the monitor is flat when on top of my laptop making using the laptop with two screens when travelling a lot easier. I have two USB 2.0 ports on my laptop. Each USB 2.0 port gives 500 milliamps. Two USB 2.0 ports give 1 volt. 1 volt is 1 watt. Thus, I need much more power to use the monitor using a USB 2.0 port on my laptop. How can I power my monitor using a USB 2.0 connection on my laptop?
USB 3.0 in the power delivery format on Wikipedia gives 20 volts, that is 100 watts of power. If I use two USB 3.0 ports using a USB 3.0 adapter, that gives 10 volts, that is 200 watts of power, that should be enough to power the monitor.

The voltage usage for the monitor is 100-120/220-240V @ 50-60Hz. The amount of power the monitor uses when on is 38 Watts. The amount of power the monitor uses on power saving setting is 2 Watts. The monitor's highest resolution is 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hertz per second. The weight of the monitor with the stand is 15.0 pounds or 6.8 kilograms. The weight for monitor without stand is 9.3 pounds or 4.2 kilograms.

New post: I want to be able to either use my laptop battery to power my laptop screen or get a high enough power from usb 3.0 power delivery, getting 100 watts from one port, having two usb 3.0 delivery ports is 200 watts that should be enough to power my monitor. Is there anyway I am able to use my laptop battery to power my laptop screen and my second monitor? Is there anyway to make the USB port on my laptop have enough power to power the second monitor?

Then, I want to attach the monitor to my laptop by either gluing a hinge to connect the monitor to the right of the laptop for the monitor to be on the right or making two clips to put the monitor on the right. Then, the monitor is able to lay flat on top my laptop to save space and make travelling a lot easier. I do not want to buy a usb monitor because I already have a good enough monitor for free.

Last edited:
Please stop posting the same stuff over and over again. It wasn't deleted before, just moderated because of the links you posted (automatic anti-spam stuff the forum does).

My laptop uses a 40 pin screen socket. Is there a product that gives you two 40 pin screen sockets to connect two displays using two 40 pin screen sockets? Thanks for your help

Instead of converting the monitor to get power from usb 3.0 power delivery, I am just going to use the united kingdom, 240 volt power socket cable. I think I have all the information I need to use the monitor and moderators please close the thread. Thanks for all your help. Enjoy your life, have a good future and live happily.

Back
Top Bottom