computer wont restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergiofar

Baseband Member
I have just finished building a computer and I am having the following problem. Computer will not restart after I turn it off with windows. I was having intermitent problems of it restarting itself but that problem seems to of gone away. I checked to make sure all cables and everything is in tight and not loose. Before I go ahead and replace the power supply I wanted to have some feedback from more experienced builders than myself. I have to manually turn off the switch in the back of the computer and then the computer restarts, if I don't do this it will not restart. I go into start and turn off computer, but when I try to restart power comes on but it doesn't post just the fan spins and I get no picture. If I turn off switch on back of computer then on, then computer restarts when I press the on button. Is this a power supply issue, mother board, video card. I am at a loss any info is appreciated!!

sergiofar,

Have you connected correctly the wires for Power LED,Power,HDD led ..etc to the front panel in your mobo? Try removing them, take the mobo manual and connect them correctly again.

Thx for your reply, and yes I look at the manual . I even used the power led cables, power, ect. from another computer and still the same problem. I went ahead and replaced the power supply with one that I know works and sitll the same problem. I can start windows, but as soon as I hit start and turn off computer I cannot restart I have to go to the back of case and turn switch off and then on to restart. When I hit the restart switch it goes throught the motions but nothing is displayed on the screen ( I hear the hardrive working, the led for hd goes on and nohting). Any advise is appreciated!!!

Here's some more info, if anyone can help I would appreciate it. I went ahead and used another video card that I know works and still the same problem. I read somewhere that maybe it was a windows issue so I reformatted the drive and loaded window again and still no luck. I switched out the ram and same problem. Now my question is could this be a mobo issue or a CPU issue, or is it a software issue. Any info is welcomed!!!!:( :( :( :(

seems like a power supply issue to me but i'm not sure. My mom's compaq used to do the same thing. It would start windows and then when it randomly restarts, it doesn't load windows again. Just like you, the fan spun but nothing happened, no screen, no window logo, nothing. All i could trace it was to the psu, but unforteunately, i didn't have to fix it. We just bought a new compaq because it was already like 5 years old. I think it's the PSU, try using a different powersource and see what you get.

edit: oops, you already tried a different power source.

this is wacked... Let me try to get some information from other places. bbl

amd XP 1400
ECS l7s7a2
PC 2700 512mb centon
wd 120 gb hd
sony drua 510a
mad dog champion mx 400 video card 4x 64mb
dvd rom
generic mid tower case and 430 w ps

oh yeah. forgot to mention. It could also be heat related.. could be. Check if all your heatsink fans are attached properly and are cooling the cpu. WHen you get a chance to get in to windows, download a program called Motherboard Monitor and checkout the temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom