Computer Parts for me-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esse

In Runtime
Hey I'm new to the forums but pretty excited because this place is FILLED with information. Well here are a list of compentants I want for the new computer I am going to build. I am set on the Intel so yea. PLease give me some feedback to change stuff or anything. Like if you reccomend other stuff that would be awesome! :D Here it is:

ANTEC Silver Aluminum Performance 1 Series ATX Mid-Tower Case with Side Window Panel, Swiveling Front Control Panel features LED Display, Model "P-160WF" $100

ATI 256MB DDR Video Card with RADEON X800 PRO 3D Chip $399
DFI "LANPARTY PRO875B" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU $170
Pentium 4 3.4GHz Hyper-Threading - 800MHz FSB - 512K Cache - 478PIN $398
Z680 5.1 Metallic Silver 500W $314
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Gamer $110
Samsung 8X Internal DVD+/-RW Drive, SH-W08ARNS $71
Rosewill 52x32x52x16 CD-RW & DVD Black Combo Drive, Model C523216B, Retail $41
1GB Kingston HyperX DDR DIMM $400
LABTEC Wireless Desktop with Optical Mouse $40
Western Digital 120GB WD1200JD Serial ATA 150 (SATA/150) 8MB Buffer $130
Diamond Pro 930SB-BK $319
-----------
$2,492

Those specs look really nice to me. Where in the world did you get the prices for those parts? You are obviously making a gaming computer.

Yeah those things are pretty expensive! But if you've got the money and you want a good quality/performance system then go for it!

my resources are: www.outpost.com and www.newegg.com - just takes time. The ram is another quesiton. The Ram is Kingston HyperX , it's supposed to be for "gaming". Do you think 1GB of ram is enough or do you think I should get 2, if i do get 2 of HyperX that would be soooo expensive. Could someone please reccomend some ram issue for me. Thanks

-Ike

Jonesie, I see you have a pentium also - Do you know how to overclock - I know there are overclocking forums and I will check them - but off hand do you know if it is worth it if I want to play games like Half Life 2 and Doom 3 the smoothest they can run and best graphics or am I already fine?

3.4 with Hyper Threading is insanely fast. On top of that you cannot clock an Intel motherboard. You will be fine on processing speed for any game for the next 5-6 years or more. Your system is fine for gaming and will be for some time now. Get the computer and enjoy yourself to the fullest. Doom 3 is going to be awesome on our boxes. :)

I like you already Jonesie :) ! (not on the creepy way though)

I just really want to do this right, my last machine was a 600mhz emachine. At the time 600mhz was "great" but the machine was not so..."great". I will never get a eMachine again it was so dissapointing. If you ever saw the movie office space, thats basically how the computer..died.

Looking over my list for the 50th time I think I forgot another fan or cooling system because I know some of the parts I have would get really hot. could you tell me a really good fan or type that I should look at. Or differetn kinds? Thanks!

On the other hand - I don't understand motherboards that much, if someone could give me a brief lowdown on motherboards like how to know which is good, number wise and what to understand. I know the extreme basics (what it looks like and where it goes and how to put stuff into it). But for the numbers and types I have no idea. Or if you want to refer me to a site or a link that would be nice too. Thanks

-Ike

Ummm

Motherboards-Basically just get a motherboard that suits your needs as far as Raid capabilities, how many IDE devices can be connected to it, what socket it is(which processor will fit physically), if it has onboard sound or video and also how many PCI slots it has and if it has PCI express(very new, most MB's don't have it).

FSB speed-Get the same FSB as the processor your getting. Example: if you have a 400FSB processor, buy a 400FSB motherboard.

Ram- Anything will work basically. As long as its DDR.

Also, there are 2 basic chipsets- VIA and Nforce

Many say the Nforce boards are faster, but its such a small percentage that it doesn't really affect performance.

Did i forget anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom