computer off or on during the night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ksingler

In Runtime
Hey, I was just wondering what your thoughts are about leaving your computer on or off during the night?

Does it really make a difference in the long run if you turn off your computer every night?

Thanks

There are ways that a hacker can use your machine even if it is "off". I plug mine into a power strip and after turning off the computer, I turn off the power strip. If the power is off, NO ONE can use hacking methods to turn it on. So, no I don't think you should leave it on.

sure you can leave your pc on 24/7. figero is just paranoid. when the pc is turned off it is controlled completely by hardware. hacking primarily involves software and the only way a hacker would have of turning on a pc is by somehow accessing the power on lan feature if you use an ethernet connection to your modem.

edit: if power on LAN is disabled then there is absolutely f*** all a hacker can do to turn the pc on. besides why in h*ll would a hacker wait for you to turn your pc off to attack? if you're going to get hacked then it is only going to be when your pc is turned on.....that is unless you are a hacker who knows of ways that i do not.

i always used to leave my computer on, but i learned my lesson, my PC started to overheat and get up to 60 degrees Celcius...so i turn it off at night.

not really...

if you put your PC on standby or hibernate, it uses the least amount of power possible, only enough to keep the CPU on.

i heard that turning the PC on and off uses alot of energy.

P.S. I like your sig, Dan Deville. Who is the model in the picture?

I leave my computer on at night to download torrent but turn it off during the day. Downloading during the day eats up the network for my family. =\

... I've yet to see a virus able to turn a computer...on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom