Complications with new hard drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toshiro

In Runtime
I got a Maxtor 40GB internal EIDE/ATAPI hard drive today for my friend's computer. Following the instructions (gasp!), I successfully installed the drive (which I kinda already knew how to do) and then formatted and partitioned the drive using the utility CD that came with the new drive (which was supposed to copy off the old drive and make the new drive the new boot disk). Funny thing happened, though. I think it may have been my fault, but when I finally got everything up and running, the new drive, from which Windows was now booting, was drive E, and the old hard drive, which was to be disconnected, was still C. Also, I couldn't boot successfully without the old drive until I installed XP over itself (technically an upgrade from Home to Pro). Right now, it seems to work fine without the old drive attached, except...

I need to get the drive letters swapped.

As far as I can tell, the drives have had the correct jumper settings. New drive was Slave, old was Master, then after new drive was setup, I switched them and their cables, and set the new one to Master and old one to Slave.

If I reformatted, repartitioned, and reinstalled Windows XP, WITHOUT the old drive attached, would that possibly make the new hard drive have letter C, as there would supposedly not already be a C drive?? And if I reattached the old drive later (to copy over the music and files and stuff on it), it wouldn't cause problems would it?

Mainly I wanna know if redoing the new drive would set it to C... I don't wanna do ALL that all over again if it's not going to work and in fact leave MORE to do. I can use the old drive and copy the files to my comp via network, and copy them back later if reattaching the old drive afterwards will screw things up.

This is kinda important. Having the hard drive set as E really makes default installation paths void, and I think it's interfering with installation of Nero 6 Ultra....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom