Compatability Issues(MakinLifeA*****)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehHelpNub

Solid State Member
Alright heres my problem... As you probably know as PCI Express gains popualarity, Most people who have only AGP slots... Get the shaft and well I'm in the dilema of wanting an ATI x700, But theres the issue of it being PCI Express. What do I do? There is also the more expensive option of the BFG 6800gt for about oh... $200 more and honestly thats more than enough for i want to run, its not really a card I'm familair with since I am an ATI fan as opposed to Nvidia or affilaites... The reason for the BFG you prolly ask is because its AGP so yay... But I would like to know my options before I go and break my wallet open... I would apreciate any help, Thank you.

here are the cards i want:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6832788&type=product&id=1093468042165

and

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6684652&type=product&id=1083712392168

Personaly I would got for the PCI-E card and future proof the PC, a high end mobo and the PCI-E card will cost less overall than the AGP card alone and as I said, make your PC ready for future cards.

I agree with the post above about buying a new mobo. but IF you can't afford it or don''t want to bother with the change or something, the 6600GT is in pci-x and agp, is much quicker, and has pixel shader 3.0 compatibility. but you must not like future-proofing your computer, because you want an ATI X-whatever video card.

if you want to future-proof your computer with pci-x, than you might as well future-proof your video card by getting somthing with shader model 3.0 support. when you get your X700, you'll see that you robbed yourself from performance, image quality, and features.

EDIT: i just saw the links, and if you're having a hard time choosing between an X700 Pro and a 6800 GT, than you either can't find any half-decent reviews, or you're really hardcore ATI. get the 6800 GT, its in a much higher class of cards, and.... uuuuggggggggghhhhhhhh its so simple!!!! get the 6800GT!!!!

Your not looking hard enough. There are plenty of AGP options right now. I know there is an AGP option of the 6600GT and it will blow the x700 away and costs about the same.

Edit: Felt nice, heres a link. Good buy too. Trust me, I am not an ATI hater, but for the $200 range, this card will BLOW that x700 away.

that is also a 128-bit card... not a 256-bit, there goes half your performance.

256-bit=32 bytes xfer
128=16 bytes xfer

i suggest going to www.newegg.com/www.zipzoomfly.com and doing your own research as it will more than likely pay off if you make an informed decision of your own.;)

Panther5060 said:
that is also a 128-bit card... not a 256-bit, there goes half your performance.

256-bit=32 bytes xfer
128=16 bytes xfer

i suggest going to www.newegg.com/www.zipzoomfly.com and doing your own research as it will more than likely pay off if you make an informed decision of your own.;)

However the 6600GT still has a high memory transfer rate because of it's clockspeed. The extra clock easily makes up for being 128bit

6600GT is my recomendation :)

I decided to pay out the ass and get a card that will last me atleast 3 years... Got the 6800gt... Definitely satisfied with warranties and perks, as well as the easy install... The fact it now rapes the shit outta half life and counter strike source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom