Clone DVD problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMorgan86

Solid State Member
im using "clone DVD" that i downloaded yesterday to copy DVD's, and i keep running into the same message that i cant figure out. i used "fairusewizard" to rip the moving to my harddrive, now i'm trying to use clone dvd to burn it to my blank media. when i'm at the settup window in clone, i designate the file on my harddrive that has the movie as my source, then i designate my dvd burner (NEC dual layer) as the target. when i put the blank dvd (verbatim DVD+R 16x) in the burner and click "next", i get the following message:

No DVD movie disc.
Please insert a dvd-video disc into the drive or specify a folder includes dvd movie files.

i don't understand why i'm getting this message. any ideas???

Antec “Sonata” w/ 380w power
MSI K8T800+VT8237 Neo-FSR
Zalman sink & fan
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Crucial DDR400 PC3200 2x256
Sharp 19” LCD
40 & 120 gig ultra133 7200rpm HDÂ’s
eVGA Nvidia GeForce FX5500

you didn't rip to a dvd format. use dvd shrink, smartripper or dvd decryptor to rip it. fairusewizard rips to divx or xvid

so there's no way to use the what i have saved on my harddrive to burn onto my blank media? i also have decypter, but i haven't tried using that program yet. does decrypter rip the original dvd in the correct format to then burn using clone dvd?

JMorgan86 said:
so there's no way to use the what i have saved on my harddrive to burn onto my blank media?

you would have to reconvert it back, you will lose quality and time however

JMorgan86 said:
i also have decypter, but i haven't tried using that program yet. does decrypter rip the original dvd in the correct format to then burn using clone dvd?

yes it does. it can even burn it back to dvd for you, if the dvd is single layer.

i just started the process using decrypter, but only told it to rip the main movie and IFO files. im new to this and didn't know there were so many different files. am i headed down the right path or do i need to rip the whole movie? i want the burned version to be of the best quality it can be. what steps do i need to take to ensure that?

i didn't ask this question in my last post, but does dual layer refer to the dvd having two burnable sides? sometimes when i rent a movie from a movie store, both sides contain the movie, just one is a widescreen format. is this true, or is that a rookie question? i just need to know if i need to get different media than the verbatim dvd+r which only has 1 burnable side.

Are you trying to copy the movie to a dual layer disc or just a single layer disc?

CloneDVD can both rip and burn. Do you have AnyDVD? IF you have AnyDVD, then you can rip protected dvds with CloneDVD. If you're burning to a dual layer disc which are very expensive blanks atm (at least here in aus - cheapest is $9 each).... then all you have to do is keep all chapters and menus selected, and tell CloneDVD to burn it to the dvd burner. If you're burning to a single layer disc, then in CloneDVD, you just deselect the chapters and parts that you don't want and do the same thing as above.

Dual layer refers to the dvd having one layer of written data, and another deeper layer of written data on the same side. The other blank dvd you are referring to has some name (that I'm not sure of :)) and is practically just a single layer disc on both sides. I haven't seen one of these before, but heard of them. I'm pretty sure they're being faded out since they are not practical. Just stick with the single sided dual layer discs for now as they should have more than enough size for you to do a direct copy of a dvd, keeping everything .

If you need more disc capacity (which I can't see happening) then the blu-ray and also the hd discs (I think that's what they are) are likely to be released with blu-ray and hd burners by the end of 2005.

check out this site for help: www.videohelp.com

cheers
nathan

JMorgan86 said:
i didn't ask this question in my last post, but does dual layer refer to the dvd having two burnable sides? sometimes when i rent a movie from a movie store, both sides contain the movie, just one is a widescreen format. is this true, or is that a rookie question? i just need to know if i need to get different media than the verbatim dvd+r which only has 1 burnable side.

Dual Layer is a 9 gig DVD rather than 4.5.

You do not flip it over. It just holds more. It has a second metal reflector and Dye recording layer inside that allows it to hold double the data.

Secondly, you can only burn dual layer DVDs if you have a dual layer burner. My advice, don't worry about getting dual layer. They are still expensive and only useful if you actually want ALL the menus, special features and crap that comes on a DVD. Otherwise, put the movie on one DVD and make a second with all the special extra stuff. DVD clone is useful that way.

Remember, the movie .VOB is usually the longest track. Uncheck all the other stuff to get higher quality. I usually uncheck "Preserve Menus", that way my movie starts up right away. If you are making backups of your T.V. series DVD's, remember to keep "Preserve Menus" checked, or you will not be able to select an episode.

And, I would also suggest getting and using DVD Decryptor. Ive been using it for almost a year with no problems...along with Clone DVD.

Remember, the movie .VOB is usually the longest track. Uncheck all the other stuff to get higher quality. I usually uncheck "Preserve Menus", that way my movie starts up right away. If you are making backups of your T.V. series DVD's, remember to keep "Preserve Menus" checked, or you will not be able to select an episode.

can someone explain to me, or aim me towards a website that can explain all the different extensions that are created when ripping a dvd (IFO,VOB, etc.). which ones do i need to have the complete movie with sound and the ability to jump to different chapters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom