Chaintech 7VIF 4 works fine but simpply turns off for some processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

teocuitlatl

Beta member
I recently built a simple computer for limited use. Chaintech mobo; 256 mb ddr pc2700 memory. amd 2600 barton core operating at 333 fsb along with memory. simple 8 gb HDD, 350W PS. CD, USB Zip drive usually not connected, couple of cooling fans. Windows XP, Service Pack 2. No video card, therefore 256 mb memory is more like 200 mb, Audigy sound card in lieu of on-board sound.

Everything works fine; no blue screens, no error messages. Reasonably fast, would be better with more memory.

BUT--

At times, for certain tasks, it will perform them for a while and then just turn off. Power supply switch on back must be turned off and on and then computer will come on normally when front button is pushed.

At first, task that shut down the computer was defragging. Then, after a few tries, it managed to defrag everything and defragging has not been a problem since.

Once in a while Earthlink Total Acess will gobble up most of the memory if left on for long periods. Computer will then slow down and eventually just turn itself off. I just updated everything available with Earthlink and hope that will avoid problems (a day later this problem has not recurred--yet, and maybe never again).

However, current problem has to do with running MAfee virus scan. No trace of any virus--it will run for about 8-10 minutes, 10,000 to 14,000 files and then just shut off.

This is a new one on me. Any ideas on what is going on? Mobo has a poly fuse but is it blowing and resetting and if so, why? Or is the memory better off going slower? A bad bios setting? more memory?

[I did change the bios setting after I wrote this from "set speed by spd" to "ultra" which did not work well--however, i then dialed it down to the "turbo" setting where now the whole computer is working better. It will still, however, not finish a McAfee scan].

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom