CdRom0 has a bad block

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dude

Beta member
I have a Dell Inspiron 2650. I can play audio cds from my cd-rom but cannot install any software. The event viewer error message says that the cdrom0 has a bad block. I have tried several different cds but no data cds work. I have tried reinstalling the drivers for the cd-rom and disabling the autorun feature but nothing works. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Right click My Computer on the desktop, and click Properties.

Click the "Hardware" tab and then click the "Device Manager" button.

Expand the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" item.

Right click your CD-ROM device and choose Uninstall.

Click OK to proceed.

Restart your computer. The computer will automatically detect the
device and install the driver.

*Try this first, if it dosent work post back*

What about a firmware upgrade?? Or maybe it is just damaged in general. Also laptop cd rom drives go very quickly. I had a brand new laptop back in 2003 and the CD-rom drive sh*t the bed like 3 months later.

have you tried to boot from the XP cd (as if to do a reinstall, but dont have to)? This is just to see if it is a physical cd drive problem or not. More than likely, if it can't read the cd during boot up then its a bad drive.

Thanks for the reply. I tried to boot with the XP cd but it could not read it. I guess its just a bad drive that needs to be replaced.

guess you could try and change/swap different IDE cables (make sure nothing else is chained with it) and see how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom