Maxtor 200GB IDE
DFI LanParty Mobo
xfx 6600gt
512 pc2700

Here's what happened:

OS messed up w/ 2 100gb partitions:angry:

it would restart as soon as it starts to load windows

tried formatting 2nd partition, wont boot

using copy commander i tried deleting the partitions, the wierd thing is, it showed up as 2 100gb partitions as it should, with an extra 189 gb unpartioned space that can not be touched.

so i delete the 2 partitions and all i have left is the 189 gb of free space and i cant do anything with it

i also tried installing windows and it shows up as 130gb unpartitioned and i try installing on it, it copys files then on restart it says operating system not found

:confused:

any ideas as to what to do or what programs to use would be great

thanks

ok listen... with windows xp if your using an operating system on it .... it will only give you 130 gb's on it... i don't know why but, i ran into the same thing... w/ my seagate 200 gig... so i bought a 80 gig and installed windows... hooked up the 200 gig and formatted it threw windows and it came out fine... i don't remember the process i took but, when trying to format your 200 gig hd read what it tells you to do threw windows and go that way... hope it helps...

I suggest you
delete any partitions
boot from XP disc
create a partitions smaller than 127GB
install XP
install service pack 1a and create a partition on the remaining space.

that is true about the windows and 130 gig deal, but the main problem it that i can not reformat the drive its like it is locked or something.

what would be best is if someone could suggest a program that can format and/or diagnose drive, because it is acting very strange.

i may have failed to mention also that when i try to install xp on the 130gig partition it fails to boot after the intial DOS setup

The hard drive company will also have utilities availible for download from their site.

Have the tried fdisk?

OK! that prog works i partitioned it in 2 100gig sections, BUT when i try installing xp it still wil not work!

ERROR LOADING OPERATING SYSTEM

what?!!?

thats what it says after the initial formating and loading of installation files onto the hd

that doesnt make sense unless my hd is bad which also doesnt make sense because it works as far as partitioning and the first part of windows installation AND running as slave.

Well first create a partition with Fdisk. Then install XP. Then Install PartitionMagic 8, and maybe you might be able to repartition ur hard drive like this. Just a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom