cant format disk windows xp home

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyein

Beta member
When trying to format I got an error:

"Windows can not format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again."

Tryed using the restore CD (Symantec Ghost 7.0), after agreeing that all data would be lost, there was 2 errors:

"Cannot open R:\T2482.GHO"
"Cannot open GHOSTERR.TXT"

Then tryed the help method. Right click My Computer > Manage > Storage > Disk Management > Right click C: > Format, but the format button is grayed out and unable to click.

Have formatted in the past with no problems. I don't understand why it wont let me...

Info: E-Machines Model T2482
Windows XP home (updated)
Avast anti virus (comp clean)

PLease help, I just want to earse C: and start over fresh. How else can I format? Thanks for any help :)

Perform a clean install of Windows XP

A clean installation refers to removing all data from your hard disk by repartitioning and reformatting your hard disk and reinstalling the operating system and programs to an empty (clean) hard disk. You should back up all important information before you perform a clean installation of Windows XP.

For additional information about important things to consider before you partition and format you hard disk and how to partition and format your hard disk by using the Windows XP Setup program, READ THIS!!!

>>[size=2.5]How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP[/size]<<

After you have backed up all your important information, follow these steps to install Windows XP:

1. Start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM. To do this, insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.

2. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.(note, this occurs BEFORE you boot into any operating system)

3. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to start Windows XP Setup.

4. Read the End-User License Agreement, and then press F8.

5. Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP.(refer to the read this link above)

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Windows XP Setup.

try googling first please

You cannot format from inside Windows. You will have to boot up from a CD in order to format.

I have tryed using the Restore CD's that came with my computer. They return it to the state it was in when purchased. Had to restart with the CD in the rom and it started the process of formatting. They don't work. I get two errors as posted above. As for botting the pc with a cd drive, not sure what that means. Daemon Tools maybe?

I have tryed E-Machines support page to find answers with no luck. Symantec tech support site was also a dead end. How do I get around these erorrs so the computer can be formatted?

Reboot your PC.

Before the XP screen loads, push Delete. That should get you in your PC's setup. There should be a "boot" area. Move to it, and tell the computer to boot from CD-ROM.

Reboot your PC.

Insert your Windows XP CD and follow the directions.

eyein said:
As for botting the pc with a cd drive, not sure what that means. Daemon Tools maybe?

Booting from the CD-ROM means that you're starting up a Windows install from the CD, instead of your hard drive.

you could download a copy if you have your own key, but you're better off to stay legal (by buying your own copy) or you could borrow a copy of XP (home or pro, whatever you have) from a freind or something

You could download XP Home, as you will have a legal CD key marked on your eMachines case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom