Can't connect to network printer over IP

insidiousbookworm

Baseband Member
Just installed a new networked printer here in the office, got everyone mapped to it, everyone can print, I can ping the printer's IP--but I can't access it via IP through my web browser. The printer is a Lexmark x748de MFP.

Emailed Lexmark, and they replied that I must not have Java installed (I do).

I have another one that was purchased at the same time, but we installed it several months ago. This one I can access just fine, so I don't think that it's any settings on my desktop. Also, I can't access it from any other computer, either. It seems like there is something on the printer itself that I have missed. HTTP and HTTPS are both enabled, and I know that it's connected and communicating.

It could be something on my network here--they tend to make changes to policy often and not tell us--but I'm hoping that someone out there has some ideas that I can try out...

If you are not the admin or in IT, why are you trying to access the printer via web?

And if "they" always make changes to policy (who are they) why dont you ask if they have made any changes that could affect the connecting?

If you are not the admin or in IT, why are you trying to access the printer via web?

OP never said he wasn't in IT or an admin - could be the print server admin. Lots of companies have segregated departments (like networking & infrastructure from printers). They usually work closely together, however.

1. Why would you assume I'm not?
2. If "they" were readily available or easily contactable, don't you think I would have started there before turning to the internet?

I do IT support for an Air Force unit. The Air Force network is regionally controlled, and down at our level we don't ever hear about what they are doing, or pushing, or installing until we can no longer do something. Then it's a scramble to try to figure out why we can't install a desktop scanner anymore.

In order for me to find out if this is a network policy issue, I would have to open a local ticket, have my next-level local support look at it and scratch their heads for a couple of weeks, then forward it on up to the next level, then repeat that a couple more times.

1. Why would you assume I'm not?
2. If "they" were readily available or easily contactable, don't you think I would have started there before turning to the internet?

I do IT support for an Air Force unit. The Air Force network is regionally controlled, and down at our level we don't ever hear about what they are doing, or pushing, or installing until we can no longer do something. Then it's a scramble to try to figure out why we can't install a desktop scanner anymore.

In order for me to find out if this is a network policy issue, I would have to open a local ticket, have my next-level local support look at it and scratch their heads for a couple of weeks, then forward it on up to the next level, then repeat that a couple more times.

Putting in a local ticket in the mean time may not be a bad idea, just in case it is indeed something that was changed within your network that we may not know about and be unable to help with.

Yeah, it's looking more and more like something network-wide. Looks like I can't access ANY Lexmark printer. HP, Xerox, Intermec I can get into just fine. Just not Lexmark. So ticket it is... I was sure hoping that there was just a setting I had missed.

Back
Top Bottom